1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hole in Back of Front-View Camera Housing?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    (Yesterday, I added this, below, to the discussion regarding having seen cockroaches inside our new P.Prime, three times in as many consecutive days a few weeks ago. Since most of us have probably already "tuned out" that conversation, I'll put this question into a new conversation.)

Can any of you clearly see -- or know of "exploded view" diagrams to show -- whether there is a hole in the back of the black forward-view camera housing between it and the front edge of the headliner?

It's a pretty tight gap between the two, but when I try to get my fat fingers into that gap, I maybe might be feeling a hole there, perhaps for ventilation of the electronics.

I ask because the first cockroach I saw disappeared into that crack between the camera assembly and the headliner. In the hopefully-unlikely event it laid eggs in a hole into that assembly, I might be able to get the dealer to remove that assembly and vacuum it out less expensively than removing the headliner ($600-$700).

iPhone ? Pro

2. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't leave your old sandwiches on the car floor. They don't go where there's no food for them. Buy a fogger. Get a roach motel, they check in but don't check out. Tent your car. Be fastidiously clean. Roaches won't stay where there is nothing to attract them.

alexcue and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, it's clean and we're not eating in the car. The exterminator and I have idea how they got there.

The most likely possibility is that we left the windows open in the garage (we always keep it in the garage) for one evening a while back. But even that's surprising though, since the garage is far from infested (undoubtedly there could be a few in there, but haven't seen any for a long time). Plus we do quarterly preventative treatments of the entire house including the garage. Also, we had the ol' 2009's windows open for a couple weeks in the garage, and no signs of them having gotten into that car.

I'm guessing they're a dealer-installed option (), or much more likely compliments of Gulf States Toyota.

But anyway, back to my original question, can any of you tell whether there's a hole in the back of the forward-looking camera module?

iPhone ? Pro

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The most likely way was in your grocery bags. That is a common place for roaches to hide and get into your house from that. I check them all the time and found one just the other day.

What is the next animal up on the food chain from the roach? You could get one of those and leave it in your car for a few days.

mr88cet and alexcue like this.
  5. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh, Rats!

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, that occurred to me as well. It seems like I would have seen them by now if so; we use them quite a lot.

Then again, one or two of those bags are rarely used. Probably wouldn't hurt to check and clean the trunk, trunk nooks and crannies, and the "trunk junk."

iPhone ? Pro