1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Holland America's Green Cruise ship

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by efusco, Apr 21, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG] http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070421/clsa009.html?.v=5
    When Holland America Line's ms Zaandam sets sail from Vancouver, B.C., on Earth Day, April 22, it will be unlike any other cruise ship at sea, featuring new cutting edge emission reduction technology recently installed during a two-week drydock. In cooperation with several United States and Canadian government and regulatory agencies, Holland America Line has launched a technology demonstration project, designed to demonstrate the feasibility of using sea water to "scrub," or reduce, engine emissions on oceangoing vessels."This is a ship like no other in the cruise industry," said Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer, Holland America Line, "and after studies and modifications of the ship's new test emissions technology, it could dramatically change not only the cruise industry but the entire maritime industry by reducing ship engine emissions."

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anything that might reduce the impact of marine operations on the environment is a great thing. The amount of fuel consumed by ships is staggering and it's generally the lowest grade crap out there (bunker fuel).

Of course, they're using the Calcium Carbonate to neutralize the SOx compounds so the process creates CO2 more than likely. I wonder exactly how much. What about the NOx compounds? They're not mentioned at all.

So does it go something like this?

2CaCO3 + 2SO2 => 2CaS + 2CO2 + 3O2

Of course, that would be for pure SO2, I didn't consider SO3. Does that look about right or did I goof?

I love the director's name. That's apt. :D