1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Holy cow, I'm at the top of the list?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rancid13, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just got a call at work from my Toyota dealer. Long story short, he's a client of my husband's, so I haven't talked to him directly prior to this instance, but he's getting us (well, me rather-it will be my car after all) a really really good deal on it. He wanted to verify the package I wanted because he has a 2006 Black Package #7 (my original choice) coming in tonight and he wanted to see if I was interested even though I had let him know I was wanting to wait till after Jan 1st to take ownership (2006 tax credits and all). :)

He understood, and said he didn't have an approximation for how long my wait would be as far as an exact date goes, so I mentioned that I'm extremely patient and wouldn't mind waiting until March, April, or even May should it take that long. :p

He said it would definitely NOT take that long and that I was at the top of his list (he does internet/fleet sales) and I could expect a call from him sometime in early January, or whenever the first Prius in my color/package is set to arrive at his dealership, which will most likely be by the end of January at the absolute latest-he'll snag it first for me and give me the heads up as soon as he hears what they're getting in their first allotment of 2006.

So I'm super duper overly excited right now to have received this information from him. He seems like a really nice guy (my husband already vouched that he was a good guy) and from there we got to talking hockey (he's a Kings fan, I'm a Stars fan-lots of rivalry there) and he was just a totally cool fellow. :D :D

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrat's You will have fun! B)

3. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, I can't wait! Well, I can...but can't at the same time! :)

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I'm so excited for you, I can't believe it... Ahhhhaaaaa... WOW....

Ok, so maybe I'm not really that jazzed up, but congratulations or somethin.

I don't quite understand your dealer or your situation... it seems odd...

I put down $500 and an order for the green (pine mica whatever) #5. At that time, I was number xx on the list. He counted up... Not Novembers allocation, not Decembers... Ah hah.. You are in January's allocation. He knows how many cars toyota gives him each month, and when the other people in front of me have their cars, next it's me... I'm in January.

He didn't even have to know what my color and options I wanted, I was just the 15th prius in the future for them. At some point, my Toyota needs to order their January allocation. When they do that, my dealer will ask for a green #5. Toyota will look over the latest boat load of cars to arrive in the port and load one on the truck. The truck arrives at my dealer and my car is here.

Which then seems odd for you to be top of the list, but not getting your car until end of January... I'd be so surprised if your dealer didn't get any other Prius in before then... There's nothing special about yours... they just need to request it to be put on the truck.

interesting dealer ya got. Hope your car comes quick.

5. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's the thing: I ordered my Prius in mid-September by putting a $500 deposit down. The dealer is a client and quasi friend of my husband, so he's giving us special treatment, so to speak (read: a really really good deal on the pricing). A couple weeks after I first placed my order, I changed my mind from a 2005 Package 6 to a 2006 Package 7 or 8, with delivery to be Jan 1+ so I could take advantage of the 2006 tax credit. During the months that have passed, others on the list above me have gotten their cars. I could have had 3 or 4 different Prius' by now, all the package/color I chose, but I passed them up each time he called, as I prefer to wait until January. He told me that the absolute latest would be the end of January, depending on what cars are in January's allocation for his dealership, but he will keep me informed as soon as he knows what cars/packages/colors will be headed to his dealership for that month, and my car may be one of them. He thinks I'll have it in the first week or 2 of January, depending on when precisely the shipment comes in. If he gets 'my car' during the last week of December, he has no problem holding it for me for another week so I can take a January 06 delivery date.

I didn't know that dealers could make requests as to which cars they wanted sent to their dealership from port; I thought they got a specific # of Prius' per month, a mishmash of colors and packages, and if any of the requests on the wait list matched any of the incoming cars, they'd let the waiter know so they could take ownership of the incoming car that matches their preference. Now I'm confused, it doesn't work that way??

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Doesn't sound your way at my dealer... My guy talks in terms of "when it's time to order your car", and in "December allocation", "January allocation"..

I've also had 4 various 2005's offered up to me. They stopped callling when my answer was that I wanted to wait into 2006.

Seems odd that your dealer is just getting whatever happens to fit on the truck, and mine is pretty clearly ordering in what he wants, he's only limited by the car count that he can have from corporate.

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Same here.

8. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe I either misunderstood what he said, or I repeated it here incorrectly. After I heard him tell me that my car will be here in January, I think my brain shut off temporarily due to my excitement (I had mentally prepared myself in case the demand for 2006 delivery of Prius' Pkg 8 was so high, that my car wasn't expected to be available until March or April). So hearing him say that it will be here just about when I want it here....that did it for me. I guess I 'waited' myself to the top of the list over the last 3.5 months without realizing it? :)

9. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Hey...congrats...

You might want to see if your dealer can get the invoice date and/or hold you car until the 1st of the year..KNOW WHY >>>>??

If you get the car now, your tax savings is the rate of your taxation % of $2000.00 (a $2,000 tax DEDUCTION)

If you have the INVOICE and payment MADE AFTER [AFTER] 1/1/06 your tax savings will be computed for 2006 in 2007, BUT the tax break is now about a $2500-$3000 tax REDUCTION. THAT means after your taxes are calculated an additional $2500-$3000 is REDUCED FROM the tax due, if a return is due then, you get an additional amount as above. This only applied if you are of MORE MODEST MEANS..ie less then about $180,000 / year., if you use the ALTERNATIVE MINIMUM TAX, this will not apply to you. BUT IT IS MONEY IN YOUR POCKET IF YOU CAN SOMEHOW DELAY THE FINAL INVOICE A LITTLE....Talk to your dealer AFTER THE DEAL IS MADE.