1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Home air pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by coolio10, Dec 8, 2010.

1. coolio10

coolio10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any of you guys have a home air pressure pump? did a search on this subforum and nothing came up. Found a thread here about someone considering grill blocking and he used a bicycle pump. Is this acceptable?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Search for 'air compressor' if you want an electrically powered pump.

Yes, muscle powered bicycle pumps are fine. Use the floor pump variety, as the smaller hand or frame variety that cyclists carry while pedaling are much too slow.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For everyday car use, I have a 12V jump box that I carry in the back of my Prius. It does nicely for topping the tires, and is handy if you need to jump start someone else's car, or even your own Prius.

For bigger jobs I have a smallish 120V portable compressor and a larger tank model.

It all depends on your needs? What is your intended application?

Tom

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor that works well. Got it for nail guns and light paint spraying but with the side benefit of tire pressure top offs. Once you have a compressor in the house you never get tired of finding ways to use it.
    This one's similar to what I have, but nicer looking:http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000O5RO1Y?tag=priuschatcom-20 D

5. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I too have a Porter Cable pancake compressor and it works well. However, I'm not sure I'd spend $150 on an air compressor solely to pump up my tires. If you want an air compressor solely for that purpose, I'd go to HarborFreight.com and get one of their $60 pancake compressors. But, if you will use it with a nail gun, etc., then I'd spend the extra money for a better quality product like the Porter Cable compressor.

Mike

6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is what I use at home.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the garage I keep the Prius in.

Garage Picture

7. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And advantage to a compressor with a tank and water drain on the tank is that moisture condenses in the tank and you can drain it out. With a bicycle type pump or a 12v car pump without a tank, all the moisture that was in the air gets pumped into your tires and can condense there.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a very good point. The air out of a tank isn't dry, but it's a lot drier than straight from the compressor.

Tom

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    man, that is sweet! you must clean it every week, you could eat off of that floor.:)