1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Home Alone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bredekamp, Sep 22, 2007.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all,

I'm going away for bout three weeks in December. My Prius will have to sleep alone during that time. Should I arrange for a trusted friend to drive her periodically or will it be OK to leave her standing alone in the garage during that time? I just don't wanna get back to red triangles and/or dead batteries.

Please keep in mind that this is South Africa, we don't have the keyless entry system as an option. I know you're supposed to deactivate that with the button under the steering wheel. How might the HV battery handle standing for three weeks?

Thanks guys (and girls). :D

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV battery will be fine for up to about 6 months...that won't be an issue for you.

The 12v battery may or may not be an issue. I suspect for just 3 weeks, with no SKS, if you're sure to turn off the head lights switch and all accessories/interior lights that it'll be fine too.

If you're particularly concerned about it just put the 12v on a float charger while you're away.

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Sep 22 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]516222[/snapback]</div>
    I am faced with a similar situation in a few weeks time and have arranged for someone to switch on the car in the garage (well-ventilated) and let the ICE run for about 10 minutes in "P". This should keep the 12V battery charged. Or will the experts tell me I'm wrong about this? Will 10 minutes once a week be enough? Maybe it would be best to disconnect the 12V battery altogether if the car is unused for several weeks?

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Sep 22 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]516247[/snapback]</div>
    It's probably fine to do that, but it's not what I would do for a few reasons.
    While the ICE will run for a minute, it'll then shut off. The 12v will charge directly from the HV battery during that time. But while the car sits during that 10 minutes charging the 12v it will be discharging the HV battery. Now, it probably won't do any harm since when the SOC of the HV gets to around 45% the ICE will come on, it just seems an unnecessary thing to do.

You didn't say how long you'd be gone...if it's a period of a couple months then I'd have your friend start and drive the car for about 20-30 minutes once every 2 weeks or so. This will keep the HV SOC high and the 12v charged.

If you're just going to be gone for a few weeks or even up to 2 months then it will be easier and better to just put the 12v on a float charger (cost you around US$20). Then your friend doesn't have to do anything and you don't have to worry about them not shutting it down properly or something.

5. prius2go

prius2go Member

If you leave the key in its slot and do the brake start button trick, the display will show 'ready'
    In that mode you can leave it for weeks until it runs out of gas
    The ICE will start up every now and again to maintain the batteries

You may need to leave the garage door open to prevent build up of carbon monoxide
    Or does the cat sort that out?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Sep 22 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]516252[/snapback]</div>
    Yikes! Please don't do this. What an unbelievable and unncessary waste of fuel and despite the very low emissions you're still just creating pollution unnecessarily. Further, once you do run out of gas the car will stay on until the HV battery drains to a deep level of discharge. While it will shut off eventually on its own you may have issues restarting, you'll find a car out of gas when you get home, and the long term impact of such a deep discharge is likely to be very bad for the battery.

For goodness sake just buy and use a little float charger and save that gas for another day.

7. prius2go

prius2go Member

yes only kidding

what about fitting a larger 12V battery?
    any threads on this

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Sep 22 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]516258[/snapback]</div>
    Oh God, thank goodness...ya need a smilely or something in there.
    I believe some of the police departments have managed to rig a larger 12v battery, the problem is finding one you can vent outside the cabin, and obviously finding a way to secure it since it won't fit in the slot designed for the 12v that's in there now. IMO way to much trouble to bother unless you absolutely need the extra capacity. I'd rather either disconnect the 12v if attaching a float charger is not possible or practical (ie if you have to park on the street) or use the float charger when practical.

You can also pull the DOME fuse for the same affect as disconnecting the 12v but it's much easier to do.

9. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I meant to turn of my SKS before a recent 3-week trip, but I forgot to. When I got back to my car, the door unlocked and I had no problem starting the car.

10. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the varied advice. I think I'll just leave it alone. Since I don't have keyless entry the drain on the 12V battery should be minimal. IF it should happen that she won't start upon my return, I can always do a jump start.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Sep 22 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]516295[/snapback]</div>
    And I think that's completely reasonable. The only "But" I'll give you is that those folks who've had their 12v deeply drain often feel, probably b/c it's real, that their 12v never behaved the same again once deeply discharged like that.

So, I'm not really 'trying' to talk you out of your plan, I honestly think it's probably going to be fine. But it would be preferable to put it on a float charger for both the short and long-term benefit of your battery.

12. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I left my prius for 3 weeks this summer, it was on 6 bars when I left it, and 6 bars when I started it 3 weeks later. So dont worry, just double check that the doors are closed and the lights are off ( if you have SKS turn that off too) and forget about it.

13. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Sep 22 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]516295[/snapback]</div>
    Always? Do you have another car or a spare battery always ready with your Prius? Have you ever tried to do a jump start of a Prius? Do you know which terminals to use in the front because you may find you can't get at the battery in the back as this door won't open without power, unless you can get at it from the inside and that's not easy.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Sep 23 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]516559[/snapback]</div>
    It's very easy to do from under the hood, no need exagerate the complexity. And presumably he's bright enough to have thought through as far as realizing he'd need a power source to jump from.

15. bobc

bobc New Member

My Prius sat for 3+ months this past summer with SKS off. No problems starting it up. The main battery was a bit low and it took about 3 days of driving before it would charge to a point where the green bars showed up on the MFD.

Cheers,

16. tedmarshall

tedmarshall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was advised to pull the "dome" fuse (in the fuse panel under the hood) when leaving my Prius undriven for more than two weeks. This disables SKS, the radio, NAV and maybe a few other thing I don't remember. (The car is still drivable.)

The idea is to reduce the idle power drain.

I did this when I was out of town for three weeks and I had no trouble starting the car afterwards. Not that I can say that I would have had trouble otherwise.