1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Home is where the Prius is

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tntna, Dec 3, 2004.

1. tntna

tntna New Member

I have been meaning to post this for a few days. Sitting in the driveway, the nav system lists my location as the neighbors address. :( Ah well. I know that GPS is acurate within x feet, but it'd be nice if home wasn't the neighbor's house.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, Priapus beelives that I live down the street.
    When I punch in my address, he places me halfway down the block.

It's just the function of how the navigational software works. In my hometown, for example, city blocks were very well designed. They all started with **01 and ended with **49 on the odd side of the street with the evens running up to **48. To save space on the navigational DVD, the software looks at a block and figures that the address 1026 is halfway along the 1000 block on the even side. The problem, of course, is that though the numbering range is rather rigid, the sequencing of addresses is not. There are only about 8 - 10 houses per side on a single block. House 1026 might be the fourth house or the last. I grew up on the corner lot in house **06 neighboring **10.

To make things worse, there's one block in which there's a house is out of sequence. Unrelated, but funny. :)

In the end, I am willing to bet 5 PC points that if you take the first address on your block and the last address on your block and then divide the distance by the range of addresses, you will see that if all addresses were equally spaced, your address would be very near your neighbor's location.

It's just easier and takes up less space for the software to apply the same, simple averaging calculation on every span of addresses than to maintain a database of every single address and their respective geographical location.

3. tntna

tntna New Member

I came across the first instance of incomplete mapping. A couple service roads were not listed on the map. These roads are several years old, as in 5-6 at least. Might even have real names to them. Alas. Right next to the dealership where I got the 2001 Prius.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I live across the street from where I am?? :crazyeyes: My iQue has me at the opposite end of the Loop I live on (the addresses are all right to left reversed on that data base). I am so confused. Maybe the 4.2 upgrade will help me find myself.

5. tntna

tntna New Member

I'll have to check to see what version I have. Since it's a week old, my assumption is the latest. Have to look to see how to determine the version number without taking out the dvd.

6. silly

silly Junior Member

On one of the navagation screens the version will show. Mine came with the 4.2 version

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't think NAV uses block ends for address endpoints, I think the endpoints are much further apart in the database. Otherwise, I would not have been told to turn right, when I should have turned left. Maybe every mile?

When I drive home, the NAV has me on the next cross-street, since it is only one house away, and turning into the driveway has me parallel to it, so it thinks I am driving on that cross-street. So NAV has me living in the middle of the street!

8. techogurl

techogurl New Member

My Nav doesn't show the complete street my parents live on. Literally you are driving on the street and then... no more street acording to Nav. This is weird as this section of the street has been here for at least 20 years. I wonder why it isn't included.

9. tntna

tntna New Member

My guess is that whatever source the company that supplied the nav DVDs used was incomplete. My Prius was flying at lunch, ie, no road on NAV.

10. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My street is relatively new, and when we tried entering our street name it didn't come up (it's possible we weren't in the correct region at the time, because we were driving the car back from TN and it might have worked if we had entered city first or something). But we when did the method of tapping the map to choose a destination, our street was there. Clicking around on our street, it gave all kinds of house numbers (which don't exist) and we just clicked around until it came up with our house number.

11. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

apparently i live on the next street over. sucks. I have to put my home address as another street to get home. It would seem my street name was swaps with the next one over.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was showing my parents the NAV over Thanksgiving and punched in my brother's saved location. Priapus routed me about seven blocks up, five blocks over, and another seven blocks down. He lives literally five blocks right down the street.

Mom, it turns out, knew a short-cut. :)

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my address doesn't exist. 21445 comes up on the other side of san jose. It has me down as 143782 or some crazy number like that. too many digits too. I just marked it and put the label as my address :) other than that.. a few inacuracies. I use it for work every day. The multi destination is really good. Usualy i have 5 addresses on the nav. Re arranging the order is fun. prefered roads is fun too. Towards the city, it's acurate to the building. Helps when making deliveries all day. Makes the job hours faster.

When done with work.. i say " go home" and it does every time. I'm very used to the nav now.