1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Home made plug in?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by DBusch, Jan 30, 2009.

1. DBusch

DBusch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With all of the discussion about PHEV's they all seem to add batteries. Is there a simple way to recharge the factory pack by pluging it in to a charger? I know range will be very limitied, but I have a one mile drive to work and when I have all green bars I can do the trip in EV mode. If I can charge the pack at work I can drive home on EV as well.
    Maybe this is a silly question, but why not ask.
    Thanks,
    David

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The charger you would need is astronomically expensive. I think the US dealer network share 2 of them.

3. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    The gen 1 Prius (1997 - 2001) were all fitted with chargers.

4. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Slightly off subject, but still related to the traction battery and it's state of charge, our 03 Civic Hybrid had a 12 volt starter, just in case the charge in the big battery was too low to start the engine. Near the end of the five years we owned it, the 12 v starter did get used a few times because the traction battery was getting a little flakey. I have always thought that it would be nice if the Prius had the same arrangement.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need, the Prius battery is engineered to last the life of the car. Oh, it's a Toyota.

Anyone got some more of that coolaid?

6. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't badmouthing the Prius..Notice that I have had a Prius for two years and it is far superior to the Civic. I wouldn't go back for anything. In Feb. of 07 I had my 05 Avalon in for some warranty work (replacement of the steering shaft) and they loaned me a Prius for the day. When I went back to turn in the Prius and pick up the Avalon, the rental car manager asked me how I liked the Prius compared to the Civic Hybrid. I told him that there was no comparison and if I could get a good enough deal that I would trade. To make a long story short, in less than two weeks I had a new Prius and the Civic had another owner.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The reason they all add batteries is because the capacity of the factory battery is actually pretty low if you want to power the car on EV. On a fully charged battery, you are probably only going to get 1 or 2 miles of range at best. I tend to think of the traction battery as a energy buffering device rather than a sole power source for the car.

The one mile range may work for your situation, but wouldn't be all that useful for most, so the PHEV conversions add battery capacity to give better range.