1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Home solar project outline

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Apr 3, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Project goals:
    1. Lower utility bill
      • No grid connection
    2. Emergency power during extended outage
      • Currently have a 16 kW, natural gas fueled, automatic, emergency generator
    My proposed requirements:
    • island operation (aka., no grid connection)
      • the power company can approach me with their plan
    • 10 kWh usable storage - enough to handle 40 miles of EV range.
      • 240 VAC output to derated NEMA 14-50, maximum 6.5-7.5 kW output
      • SOC level, triggered independent circuit: kitchen, hot water, mini-split AC, hall way lights, and furnace fan circuits
    • ~2 kW peak solar array - enough to 80% charge the storage battery on a sunny day
    Implimentation thoughts:
    • Used (salvage) EV for battery and backup for primary EV
      • Candidates: Bolt, BMW i3, Leaf
      • Repurpose vehicle power electronics for inverter
    • COTS solar, battery, 240 VAC controller
    • Solar array with mini-inverters to handle shadow and failure isolation
    Bob Wilson

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you played with NREL's PVWatts? This calculator is local-climate-aware, accounting for typical losses from cloud cover and other weather at your particular location. Putting in for a 2kW-dc system at Huntsville with default parameters, I get this result, just half of what I'd need for my smaller all-electric house, after major energy conservation work, and without an EV:
    upload_2023-4-3_13-40-10.png

Your winter minimum is 55% of your summer maximum, not too shaby. In my climate zone, winter minimum is only 18% of summer max, making the winter capacity for off-grid too expensive, so I must go grid-tied. If I did have enough winter capacity to go off-grid, I'd be foregoing a large amount of potential revenue from the summer surplus. Surplus that ought to go help offset someone else's inability to install solar.

Island operation is now possible on modern grid-tie systems with battery storage and appropriate controller (Powerwall and others) and system architecture. My current microinverters were not set up for this mode, but with new firmware and $$$ for batteries, controller, and service entrance re-configuration, could now do so. With you already having a backup generator with transfer switch, you might be part way there already.

My system has 7kW-dc, 6kW-ac, and produces just over 6000 kWh/year. NREL thinks I should get 7,600, but doesn't account for the shadowing of a neighboring wall of trees. If you do have tree shadow impairments, then I do agree with using micro-inverters instead of a string inverter.

==============
    P.S. You mentioned hot water. If electric, do you have a heat pump water heater already? If not, this would be a good upgrade independent of any solar system.

#2 fuzzy1, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    bwilson4web and Trollbait like this.