1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homelink/AM package

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nhalber, May 4, 2005.

1. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello, I just received my Prius(blue). It only took 6 weeks. It is great. And my wife loves the color. However, there is one problem. I ordered the AM package and the NI(auto dimming+Homelink).
    The car arrived with the AM , but no NI(homelink).
    I asked and here is their answer as of now. The Homelink cannot be added by them because of wiring conflicts, etc.
    Is this something that the factory does, but the local dealer cannot?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In package 5 and 6 the homelink autodimming mirror comes with those packages installed at the factory. However, the homelink autodimming mirror is a dealer installable option which your dealer can install. There are no wiring conflicts and there are even instructions about how to do it, including paneling that has to be removed for the routing of wiring, and places where wiring needs to go, etc. If your original order commitment had indicated the AM package with an autodimming mirror, then the dealer needs to be forced to make good on their promises. If necessary call the sales manager. If you get no love there then move it up to Toyota corporate.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota recommends against aftermarket installation of the Homelink mirror on Prius models equipped with side airbags and air curtains due to wiring conflicts.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, with that said, then you should get a discount for not getting items you believed were being delivered for the agreed upon price.

I was honestly under the impression that the auto dimming mirror was a solid aftermarket dealer installable option because it is in all of the promotional materials that I happen to have. That must be a rather recent change of stance on Toyota's part.

5. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

If it's on the contract (i.e. AM) I would refuse delivery unless they can add it.

6. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"86937)</div>
    This is what a dealer told me too - wanted to add the mirror to an AM package - but it doesn't make sense - if there was a problem with the mirror on a package 6 car, I would presume they could fix it.

7. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the AM package, and the dealer added the homelink mirror for me. It was over a year ago, so the policy might have changed in that time.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It is a POTENTIAL wiring conflict, but not from an electrical perspective but rather a physical one. The addon requires running a harness through the A pillar where the curtain airbags are. If the wire harness is not routed right, this could interfere with the airbag deployment. That's why Toyota's official stance is that the mirror not be installed on cars with curtain airbags.

There are 3 wires that need to be routed, however 2 of them (ground and B+) could be tapped at the overhead console, as you have to have B+ and ground for the dome lights to be able to be turned on unconditionally. That leaves only the ACC wire to be routed, which should not be a major issue.

9. PaPrius

PaPrius Member

I think you're out of luck, unless you want to do a self-install, and follow DanMan's guidelines.

If you have a complaint, it's that the dealer allowed you to order the AM package with the auto-dimming mirror. I wanted the same package/accessory combo in early April '05. The dealer informed me that the computer he used to place the order would not allow the mirror to be bundled with that package. In fact, it wouldn't allow it to be bundled with any of the packages (though it is a factory install as part of package 6, and I believe package 5 as well). I posted on this forum about this subject at that time, and learned about the conflict with the airbags.

It would be nice if Toyota's brochures, and their web site, indicated that the auto-dimming mirror was not available as an accessory.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

They seem to now.