1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HomeLink Buttons (Garage Door) Lighted?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kaymann, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Kaymann

Kaymann New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if 2007 Prius with HomeLInk has lighted buttons for the HomeLink (garage door opener) system. Either mine are all burnt out or they don't come equiped. If they don't light that is silly because those are min most used night time buttons. Used for street gate and garage door.

If they are lit how do I get to them for replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help at all....

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The buttons are not lighted.

3. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On my 2005, the red LED in the center of the button row is lighted. This allows me to locate the correct button by feel, left or right from the light. No need for another light.

4. Kaymann

Kaymann New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every other Toyota/Lexus I have owned has them lit up. I don't want my daughter fumbling with them while approaching the gate or garage. Just another why did Toyota do that....

Thanks all for the very quick replies.

5. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did the same with my buttons. Fumbling for the right one.
    I installed a small led with just enough light to shine on the Homelink buttons. Small surface mount led from the dome light area, always on pointing to the buttons. It's not in sight while looking into the rear mirror. Very Very dim.
    I'm guessing lights on the mirror would have been a distraction for the driver (safety issue). As it is the green light is an annoyance so I took a black silcone blob and put it over the led. I know it's on when the car is on, why have an led tell me it's on? The useful switches are not lit. Probably saved .05 cents of design.

6. Kaymann

Kaymann New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The LED is a great idea where did you get it.

7. krg03

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B002FDJKQK?tag=priuschatcom-20
    Put a resistor in line to make it really dim. Blue was optimal since it's already somewhat dim. They stick up on the bend of the dome light panel outside. Power is already at the dome light switch when you slide it to the on position. Tap into that. Be careful not to blow the dome fuse as I did. It kills the whole car power. You could mount a small switch also at the dome housing if you don't like it on all the time.

8. Kaymann

Kaymann New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very cool - thank you for the lead on the LEDs

Thanks again - kaymann

9. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I understand your concern and desire for lighted buttons, but she doesn't have to fumble while moving. She can come to a stop first. After all, she has to wait for the gate or garage to open anyway.

10. krg03

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even stopped in the driveway I had to turn on another light to see the buttons. Poor design whether fumbling or not. I can have my garage door open from a distance before I pull in and wait for it. There's power and an led in the rear view mirror. Just would have been nice since all the other buttons including the closed glove box is lit up.

11. Kaymann

Kaymann New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every single Homelink Toyota I have owned except this one had the lights. I don't want my daughter (that goes for my wife as well) stopped at the gate lighting up the interior (advertizing they are in the car alone) finding the button waiting and then finally getting in. I want the gate opening while she approaches not sitting there in the road....