1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homelink issue. Two Prius. Can both operate garage door?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ray Moore, May 16, 2005.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I programmed my wife's new Prius to open the garage door but now mine has stopped working. We have a garage door with rolling codes. Has anyone encountered this before and is there a fix?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have both the Prius and the Camry programmed to the garage door opener and both work. It's also a rolling code. Not sure if there's a difference in the Homelink between the Prius and the Camry.

3. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how many garage door openers do you have? If you have two, you can use two different ones to program your homelinks separately so that the openers rolling codes roll independantly?

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Alas. We have but one opener. Good idea though.

5. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My Prius and 350Z Homelinks open the same door.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius and my wife's opens up our garage door. Did you try to set it away from your garage. When I tried to set both inside the garage it had problems. I had to drive it out of range and do it.

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do ya'll have a rolling code door?

8. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"90157)</div>
    Yes, in fact come to think of it I have 3 vehicles that open the same door (2 with Homelink and one regular transmitter).

Have you tried reprogramming them?

9. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Three oddball hints: 1. Did your car go to the shop recently- sometimes they unhook the battery and I had to reset mine several times.
    2. For the Rolling codes, I had to put a new battery in the handheld remote (even though it worked fine) before it took, to program the Homelink.
    3. I pressed once too long on the garage door opener button(attached to the garage) and reset all the codes, so no opener would work except the one I just set... oops.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If your garage door is rolling code, find out how many remotes it can support. The homelink simply subs for a remote, and will use up one of the 'slots' in the opener.

11. Rowan

Rowan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think DanMan32 is on the right track. I had a similar problem sometime back and it ended up that the door opener just had too many remotes trained to it. I ended up reseting the main unit and retrained each remote again to it and everything now works again.

12. kristenl

kristenl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Were you ever able to find a fix to this issue? I tired to program mine and it worked but then my husbands didn't. I then did his and then mine didn't work. Is it not possible to program 2 different cars onto one garage door opener?

13. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have a Sienna & a Prius and both are able to operate the garage doors without a problem.

I seem to recall the sequence of events was to:

a) press and hold the Homelink button you want to program while at the same time holding and pressing the remote that came with the garage door opener. Homelink button should light up and blink indicating it has learned from the other remote.

b) on the garage door opener itself, press the learn button

c) within 30 seconds, press the Homelink button you just programmed via the original remote. Garage door opener light should blink several times indicating that it has learned the new remote.