1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homelink losing strength?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ghostrider, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

I have the homelink on my 2006 since Sept. Until last week I could open the garage door while coming up to the house and still in the street. Now I have to be in the driveway and almost at the door. I have checked and the antennae is hanging and not obstructed. Anyone have any idea why the range is cut in half? Also is there
    a way to measure this so I can determine if the homelink is bad. I have programmed two buttons with the same door and have the issue with both.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm, not sure. My 05 still works fine and I can have the garage fully opened by the time I reach the door as I drive up/down the alley.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have noticed a varying Homelink range. Usually, I can open the garage door right after turning onto my street. Sporadically, I may have to cut the distance in half to get it to work. I blame it on the weather :p

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Homelink works on the 288 to 399MHz frequency band, and some units go to 418MHz.

I suspect some local RF interference, though I don't know what could be the cause. Wireiess networking is at the 2.4GHz band, so that isn't it.

5. volkl

volkl Junior Member

I too have noticed a less than expected range, and a diminished range for my homelink garage door opener.

Perhaps the Patriot Act or broad domestic wiretapping without judicial oversight is the cause. Yahtzee!

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It appears there are also several mobile radio services that may operate in the 300MHz band, which could account for occasional interference.

There's a rather good chart at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree it's most likely local RF interference - not much you can do about that.

Tom

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Programming "Homelink" to open my garage door took 3 efforts... the instructions are quite specific. Took similar tries to get the backup buzzer turned off.

I had been accustomed to merely 'touching' the button my my 'clip on' opener control, but found that for 'Homelink' to work consistently I need to hold down the button for ½ to 1 second [until the indication light 'flashes']. Seems to work from about 150'.

9. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Yes I always have to hold the button for about a second. I just have to hold it after turning in the driveway now. However today was much clearer than the past two weeks and it actually worked as I was turning in so I am starting to think that the weather with homelink is much diffferent than the weather with a remote transmitter.