1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Homelink

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigdaddy, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I've set my homelink to open the garage door, but wondering if anyone else using it beyond garage doors and gates, like hooking it up to X10 devices in the house?

Looking at the homelink site, it appears that homelink sells come device controllers, and they also sell a Homelink-X10 bridge. Anyone have experiences with these devices?

Beyond the prius/homelink connection, what are people using X10-type controllers for in their homes?

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

There was a message (now gone, I'm sure) about someone using a homelink relay to engage EV mode. Pretty cool -- you could then engage EV mode from the rear-view mirror! B)

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The X-10 Firecracker package contained enough stuff to let me turn on/off my living room light from the car. The master unit needed to be near the car, and it relays the signal through the house wiring to the light's unit.

Eventually I'll need to iron out the X-10 issues that make things hit-and-miss, like adding a bridge/amplifier to be sure the whole house gets strong signals, but for now I can usually get the light to work with between 1 and 4 presses of the button.

So given the car's three buttons, I've got on, off, and an extra button for later...

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you have any X10 RF wireless receivers in your house anywhere near your garage that's all you need to get the X10 to work with homelink. I have programmed 2 X10 macros for use with homelink, one to turn all lights off in the house and another to turn on the hallway and living room lights for when I get home late at night. It works when I'm in the driveway or garage.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a lot of X-10. I use my Homelink mirror to turn on several lights when I get home. I have a carport, so no door, but I turn on a light in a tree, lights in the carport, and a light by the back door. I can use another button to turn off ALL lights when I leave.

With X-10 and macros you can trigger just about anyting. See <a href=\'http://www.smarthome.com/PRODINDEX.ASP?CATID=2\' target=\'_blank\'>Smarthome X-10</a> for ideas.

6. TALON

TALON New Member

My last three cars have had Homelink. I mainly use Homelink to turn on & off my home alarm system & exterior lights.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes, I know this this is an ancient thread, but my inquiry is whether over the last few years, has there been an easier interface with homelink to either insteon, or x10 ?

8. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What's hard about it? All you need is an RF-to-X10 receiver, an X10 wireless remote control (to train the Homelink), and an X10/Insteon controller for the load you want to switch. I haven't tried RF-to-Insteon since I have only a few Insteon controllers and they can talk X10 too.

9. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ok for a newbie what is EV mode??

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    EV Mode is Electric Vehicle Mode. Some Prius (not in North America) come with a button on the dash that encourages the Prius to run in electric mode. We don't get it due to emissions controls and battery warranties.

Tom

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Fleshing out that bit of factoid, several here on PC have added the EV button in the hole where it normally goes in. Don't know if the hole is remove on the newer Pri. Costaletech sells an after market one (I believe) and once in a while, the OEM version gets posted on Ebay type sites.

Bill, what could be easier is an all in one device. That's what I was hoping for. I hate to have to get up to speed on multiple / best varieties of RF devices, ad nausium. I actually like doing that kind of stuff, but when 'she who must be obeyed' keeps you under the microscope, ya gotta amortize every bit of time where you can.

12. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It looks like the cheapest way to use your Homelink to control X10 is this X10 Wireless Remote package for $45.
    [​IMG]
    You need at transmitter to teach the Homelink and a receiver. This kit puts the receiver in a plug-in controller that a lamp can be plugged into and controlled.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

I'll check it out today ~ their warehouse is maybe 12-14 minutes northwest of here:

[​IMG]

While I'm up there, I'll see what other goodies they have as well.

Our goal is to eliminate vampire power ... all the goodies that suck electricity just for the sake of convenience - phone chargers, notebook adapters, cable/TEVO boxes, plasma TV's, DVD players, etc. SHEEZ - we're probably wasting >150 watts for more than 1/2 of every day - for every day of the year!

We want to hook up the vampire items to power strips, then plug the power strips into x-10 outlets, so we can use our car's homelink to power down the entire house as we're shutting the garages (w/ the exception of a few refrigerators).

Thanks for the recomendation