1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 27, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Nautilus Engineering | The Nautilus Cycle (HCI/HCCI)

Our unique patent pending design solves the inherent challenges of pre-ignition, poor cold starting, unbalanced combustion, uneven temperatures, limited RPMs and loads with Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition or Homogeneous Compression Ignition (HCCI/HCI).

[​IMG]
    The technical trick is a smaller cylinder/piston in the middle of main piston. In operation, it is able to double the compression in the center cylinder to auto-ignite, miniature detonation. Then the flame front ignites the main charge without detonation. Some of us may remember Honda's stratified charge engine that had a central, enhanced ignition source into a lean mixture main charge. This is a similar approach without the central fuel injection and spark ignition.

The Carnot equation pretty well defines engine efficiency:

efficiency = ( T_h - T_c ) / T_h
    T_h - high temperature in Kelvin, the combustion temperature
    T_c - low temperature in Kelvin, the exhaust temperature​

What this engine does is run a lean enough fuel-air ratio so the combustion temperature is lower. The science is solid but there are engineering challenges. For example, that mini-piston in the center of the power piston, how is it cooled? It could in effect become a 'glow plug' ignition source.

They aren't 'barking mad' but I'm not investing my 401k in their company.

Bob Wilson

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just another attempt at making a diesel engine that uses gasoline.

And since when does a leaner mixture equal LOWER combustion temperatures ??
    Seems like I remember that just the opposite is true.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's nuanced. Slightly lean can be hotter, but go more lean and cylinder temps drop. Perhaps a little less fuel leads to less cylinder cooling, and the temperature spikes, but it sounds like the real culprit is detonation, or knocking. This increases the pressures in the cylinder, and that increases the heat.

I'm remaining skeptical on the emissions for now. Mazda is claiming that the temperatures remain low enough to keep NOx and particle emissions low enough to only need normal emission controls.

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Low enough...too lean mixture equals cooler combustion.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mazda looks like it will be the first to put an hcci in a car.

The mazda system uses super charging and cooled egr to manage compression and oxygen levels in the cylinder, and a spark plug to manage the engine in higher power and at start up stages.

A key to lower temperatures in hcci is the homogeneous part of H(cci). This eliminates many of the hot spots associated with a moving flame front in a lean burn gasoline engine and provides for more complete combustion. My guess is mazda engine when in hcci mode will use a miller cycle with aggressive cooled egr, which will run cooler exhaust temperatures just like the prius atkinson cycle with aggressive cooled egr. This allows for hotter compressed temperature before combustion even with slightly lean mixtures.

During heavier loads or high rpms, it looks like the mazda engine will use a spark plug and slightly rich of stoich to provide better acceleration while keeping the engine size small.