1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Accord Hybrid / mmmh, what should we think of it

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, May 24, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After I saw it at the auto show, on television and in numerous magazines, I was very curious to find out how it was to drive a performance hybrid car.

As usual, I didn't get to try out this car the traditional way auto journalists do. I did just like any normal buyer would; I showed up at dealerships asking for information and test drive the vehicle. This way always reveals a lot to me about the way dealers present their product.

I've already worked in the automotive realm, so I'm familiar with the sales techniques used in the field. But I have to admit that I'm always baffled when I head into a dealer to inquire about and try out a hybrid vehicle.

It's the same thing every time. I enter a dealership, a salesman approaches me, asks me with a smile if someone's answered me or if I need any help, and when I answer yes and I want information on a hybrid vehicle, I can see a very real if hardly perceptible disorder in the face of the salesman or saleswoman.

After that moment, depending on the experience of the salesman or saleswoman, this person will ask me if I know about the vehicle and I will normally answer no, and they will give me certain generalities. Then, when I ask them for more detail, the discussion shifts towards the traditional excuses, like: "You know, it's a brand new model, I didn't have the time to really get to know it..." So, I know from experience that every introduction of a new model is preceded by information clinics planned by the manufacturer to help the salesmen and the service teams when the model comes out.

That's why, when you'll go shopping for a new car, WHATEVER the model, make sure you choose a dealership that knows its products and are renowned for their service. There are still too many impostors in this area that discredit those who work seriously.

Returning to the subject of my Honda Accord Hybrid test drive, I unexpectedly entered a dealership when, passing by, I noticed they had received one

Full Article

2. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "I'm now a lot more used to this management because last week, I've traveled from Montreal to Trois-Rivières, which is about 120 kilometres, at an average speed of 96 km/h for a final consumption of 2.5 litres per 100 km, or 110 miles per gallon, with my personal car, a Honda Insight."

Nice!

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The author did his homework.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found this statement rather interesting... "The Honda Accord Hybrid is a very discreet car. From the exterior, you can barely notice a difference"

Reviewers always mocked the look of Classic Prius, never taking into consideration how it would blend into the crowd later on. Their focus was very much on today, rather than the entire lifetime of the vehicle.

Guess what. The Classic model now blends in pretty well now. Their are a number of new vehicles that share some of the shapes it already had quite a few years ago.

In other words, it was ahead of its time. Sound familiar? How many future vehicles to you think will take on the attributes of the HSD Prius styling? I bet their will be a number of them.

5. Orsino

Orsino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"92436)</div>
    Yes, the only outward identifier is the word "hybrid" under the model name. There is also the little "lip" spoiler, but I recently spotted the same feature on a non-hybrid.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an accessory, yes.

The easiest way is to look at the alloy wheels. Same for the HCH, it's fastest way to identify one. If that's not possible, look for the beesting antenna

7. Emilyjohn

Emilyjohn New Member

I disagree with Ray Moore. Base price of a Toyota Prius $30,530? Base price of the Accord #36,990? Not in any of the dealerships we visited. He compares the two cars where there are precious few areas for comparison. Those two cars are radically different in concept and utility. Our '05 Accord V6 averages 27-28mpg - virtually all local driving. The Accord hybrid will see appreciable improvement in freeway driving ONLY, because the combination power is delivered in series. In the Accord hybrid there are no fold-down rear seats, no available sun-roof, and no spare tire because of weight considerations. Honda would have to redesign the suspension to accomodate the extra weight. I could go on, but there's no point; because they're totally different cars. I don't understand why he bothered mentioning the Prius in his article. The Prius is clearly on the "cutting edge" of hybrid technology; the Accord is not, in my opinion.

8. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oops- I missed that absurd base price on the Prius. Thanks for pointing that out.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

OK pay attention to the headline. Canadian Auto Network.
    the price of the base Prius in Canada is $30,530 this is not a typo. This is in Canadian dollars. Cut about 23-25% off that for USD.

10. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Now I remember noting that when I read it. Thanks Frank.

11. Emilyjohn

Emilyjohn New Member

Frank and Ray, good point, Touche. Just one problem; in my negotiations with Honda dealers and Toyota dealers, there was an $10k difference in the base price of the Prius and the Accord Hybrid. So, unless Toyota has dramatically raised the price of the Prius in Canada and Honda has dramatically decreased the Canadian version of the Accord Hybrid, the base prices the author quotes don't make sense (unless I need to be enlightened once again). But I still say that bringing the Prius into the article the way he did seemed to me to be fruitless...

12. Frank Hudon

Emilyjohn: I can now confirm the base price on both the Prius and the H Accord are as quoted in the article. In Canadian dollars.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are in Canadian dollars. Honda Canada has aggressively priced the Accord Hybrid. The price difference is much smaller here in Canada than in the states. Also our Civic hybrid is $28,500 or about $2,000 cheaper than the Prius whereas in the states, the HCH is more expensive (unless the recent price adjustments have removed that).

Our Accord EX-V6 costs about $33,600 (no nav).

14. Frank Hudon

Tideland Prius did you read the Zack and Mac review of the Accord Hybrid in friday's Province? I thought it was fairly balanced and on Zack's TV program where he and Dagmar reviewed the car you could see why he didn't get very good mileage. Plus doing the review in winter. They are both agressive drivers so probably don't understand how to get the best or for that matter better mileage from them.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean yesterday's? Not yet. I can check online.

As for Driving Television, I think I did watch it. I do remember reading an article on CanadianDriver and the writer mentioning an average of 13.xL/100km but also mentioned he tested it during the winter.

I did do a test drive of the HAH at the beginning of May. The average read 13.7L/100km. I lowered it to 13.6L/100km somewhere in between my cruising and acceleration tests.

16. Frank Hudon

yikes! that's only 20.8 IMP or 17.3 US that's worse than I used to get with my Tundra V8 4X4 I used to average about 26 ( 10.8L ) with it on my normal commute. About half what I do with my Classic.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I just watched DTV's review. They got 9.9L/100km. That's not bad. I got 9.0L/100km on the RX400h I test drove =P

But then again, 9.9 is 4 cylinder territory. Why not just get an EX unless one is power hungry

18. Frank Hudon

and without the cylinder de-activiation system and the special motor mounts and the noise cancelling which are all areas of potential problems. The battery like in the Prius is a non-issue as far as I'm concerened. Warrantied for far longer than most people will ever keep a vehicle. I sat in a HAH at the auto show at the Stadium and I was impressed with the car from an initial "touchy feely" but haven't driven one. I like my Classic and feel no need to change. Took the wifes Prius to work the other day and did about the same mileage as I do with my car, maybe a slight bit better but nothing really outstandingly better. All within the variable that I get dealing with different traffic on the route.

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did I read the article right?

On page 4, it says:
    "During a conversation that I had with a representative from the Honda Company about the Accord Hybrid, he said that the company's direction told them that this car costs them close to $40,000 to build."

But on page 1, it says:
    "The fact that is comes so well equipped bothers me because it ends up carrying a base price of $36,990, excluding freight and preparation."

That's a loss of $3,000 CDN and that isn't even considering the dealer's margin. That just feels wrong; am I missing something?

20. Frank Hudon

I can't give you an answer to that, all I know is the base price here in Canada is $36,990. Maybe Honda is going to try and beat Toyota on B and C versions of the Prius. Our B version has all options less the Nav and HID and the C version has Nav. HID are not available in Canada as we get DRL halogen instead. The wife's B version 2k4 was $35,165 MSRP. Not sure what they are now with the price increase, so I think that is what Honda is shooting for up here, competition for the B model Prius.