1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Canada Announces 2006 Civic Hybrid Pricing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toronto, Ontario – Honda Canada has announced that the all-new 2006 Civic Hybrid will have a suggested retail price of $25,800, which the company says is Canada's most affordable hybrid.

A new generation of Honda's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) technology helps the Civic Hybrid achieve an estimated fuel economy rating of 4.7 L/100 km (60 mpg Imperial) in the city and 4.3 L/100 km (65 mpg Imperial) on the highway, with a maximum driving range of about 1,000 km. The new system also helps Civic Hybrid achieve Advanced-Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (AT-PZEV) certification.

Unlike the previous-generation Civic Hybrid, the new model can deactivate all four of its cylinders and operate using only the electric motor in certain situations. The IMA system consists of a 1.3-litre four-cylinder gasoline engine connected to a high-power electric motor and a new Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). The system uses the gasoline engine as the primary source of power, with the electric motor providing additional power and electricity regeneration capability. At a stop, the engine can enter an "idle stop" mode which shuts off the gasoline engine until the brake pedal is released, to save fuel.

Source: CanadianDriver

Omg, that's a price drop of $2,700 ($28,500 was the old MSRP). Toyota Canada cannot raise the price of the Prius (currently at $30,730) otherwise most would be content with saving $5,000 and buying an HCH.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's got to be unprecedented...a price drop on a popular existing model. They're really going to take on Toyota head on here and see how they respond.

This should be fascinating to watch play out.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I'm starting to think that Toyota is at market saturation, my local dealer has had 2 on the lot for a month and there is 3 G2's for sale in the auto ads in the local news paper. There was also another dealer advertising a 2005 at a slight discount. Also read in the local CAA brochure that the total number of hybrids in B.C. was 660 in May of this year. This would include all hybrids. I'm starting to think were at the peak. I really believe that it's just a niche market car. At the end of 2003 there were 365 Prius Classics in the DMV records. I really don't care one way or the other but even the used ones here are priced low. If I was an American I'd buy one up here and if anybody asks say you were transfered back to the US.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's a price drop and a content increase, which is really cool. I'd say that a base Civic is probably now better equipped than a base Prius, and it's only when they're loaded that they've got parity.

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I thought that the price increased in the US...

Blame Canada! :p

I still think the Prius one-ups the Civic with the hatchback, and VSC.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do not know, you can give or take here. The hatchback/folding rear seats are nice, but if you have a family, or are over 6' tall, the adjustable seats/steering wheel are nice, as are the standard side air bags (shame on Toyota for that). The stereo on the Civic also seems to be somewhat uplevel compared to the Prius.

7. LaughingMan

Fine.

Eye of the beholder. I guess it doesn't concern me because I'd look at Pkg 6 (actually I own that one) rather than the base one anyway.

I'd rather not have another discussion about Honda Civic vs Prius... it's been beaten to death, and people can refer to the other thread if they please.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...&hl=honda+civic

The base Civic did go up by US$1800... but seems to have a big break in Canada. Good for canada. :)

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it was beaten to death on the old HCH the new redesigned HCH is totally different looking than the old one. No I wouldn't buy one but lots will after looking at it and the price point. Also I don't like hatchbacks, I want a trunk, but that's just me.

9. LaughingMan

I mean it was beaten to death a few weeks back when I posted about the US pricing of the 2006 HCH. It sounded like we were going to have the same argument as from before, so I posted the old one (still about the 2006) to hedge that off.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove the new Civic EX. Our EX comes with alloys, one-touch open power moonroof, 60/40 split folding seats (one-piece fold on lower models), rear armrest, steering wheel mounted audio controls and 6 speakers. The stock audio system sounds nice, the dual layer dashboard is really easy to use. Whoever says it's counterintuitive hasn't actually driven the car. The controls and switches are nice and the cabin is fairly roomy.

Our base Civic is waaay better equipped than the US base Civic. Your Civic DX doesn't even come with a radio! Ours does. However, I think $24,xxx for an EX is a little pricey. Especially when a Corolla LE at $24,895 comes with leather interior, tyre pressure monitoring system, foglights and optitron electronic gauges.

Compare a mid-level Civic LX and that's $22k. You lose the split folding seats, 2 speakers and everything else I listed up there. A Yaris RS loads up at a tick under $20k with auto and comes with sliding/reclining rear seats, 60/40 split folding rear seats, foglights, side skirts, alloys, rear spoiler, 6CD Changer, MP3 player, electronic gauges and so on.

11. LaughingMan

Once again...

BLAME CANADA! :lol:

12. Trojan

Trojan New Member

Definitely should be interesting to see Toyota and Honda fight this out.

13. LaughingMan

I agree. Whoever wins, we all win... good old engineering competition! I think that we're going to look forward to some very nice cars from both Honda and Toyota in the years to come.

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, what's that tiny speck in the rearview mirror? Oh, that's just the "Big 3" slipping further and further behind. Kudos to the Toyota and Honda. Hopefully they'll have the money to buy up all of GM and Ford's assets in this country to soften the blow when those clowns go under. It's great to see this unfolding. Capitalism at its best.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    WAIT A MINUTE!!

Am I the only one to catch this here? Does this mean that the 2006 HCH can stealth? Is that what this means? I thought for sure that Honda made it clear some time ago they were going to stick with "engine stop" technology when the car is not moving. But it sounds to me that they are now using stealth.

?

16. LaughingMan

Under certain low to medium speed crusing conditions, the Civic Hybrid will go into a special "cylinder idle" mode, and will shut the cylinders so that fuel is not consumed by the engine, but uses the motor and battery power.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/07/information_abo.php

There's a good picture on that page that explains where this mode fits in.

The HCH 2006 isn't in anyone's hands yet, so we have yet to get first hand account of what speeds this occurs, how much the electric motor can drive the car, etc.

It's important to distinguish this from the Prius stealth mode at less than 41 MPH though. The Prius has the power split device instead of a conventional transmission, and the MG2 can spin independently of the engine. When the Prius is in stealth mode under 41 MPH, the engine is shut down, and is not spinning because of Toyota's HSD design. Honda's IMA, however, means that the motor and the engine are mated together, and even in this cylinder idle mode, the engine must still spin though no fuel is consumed.

Moreover, the Civic Hybrid will not be able to accelerate from stop using electric only power like the Prius.

It remains to be seen whether or not the Civic Hybrid will be capable of silent parking lot operationg though :) .

17. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sort of.

They can run in electric only mode, but the ICE is always turning over because it shares a shaft with the electric motor - it's just 'de-activated'.

Only at very low speeds and very short distances too. Not sure how effective it will actually be.

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Being used to an SUV.. I prefer a hatchback because my space is connected and accessible to me at any time.. Stereo speakers , groceries,.. I like knowing if things are banging around etc too, To me trunks are a black hole. Buts thats just me.

19. Hornhonker

Hornhonker New Member

I think the Honda is now priced about right given the realities of the Canadian dollar echange value. (around 85 cents). Toyota on the other hand still prices the Prius as if the Cdn dollar was at the old 62 cent mark. Not to mention the dealer here in Victoria charges $1300 over Toyota Canada's list price !! :angry:

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically, they can't charge over MSRP. (Access Toyota thingamajig)

Here in the Lower Mainland, all 4 dealers I went to will charge MSRP, no more, no less.