1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Civic navigation 2009

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by Tollyho, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Tollyho

Tollyho New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Since I do want a navigation system on an ordered 2009 Civic hybrid, I am thinking that rather than spend $2400 on a Honda navigation system, a local electronics company can replace the standard radio with a Kenwood radio that has Garmin gps software. It will also have XM radio, Bluetooth, as well as an mp3 hook up.
    Complete installation is $1300
    I am not sure how the antenna will be hooked up, and the case color is black. It will not match the gray color of the Honda console.
    Is this a bad idea? Should I stay with the Honda navigation system. Will it affect resale? I do expect to keep this auto a long time

1 person likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends on which system you prefer. Some prefer the factory navigation because it's integrated well. Your route is somewhat there. It's not the portable ones and it is integrated somewhat (even though you can tell it's an aftermarket but at least you don't have to remove it from the car).

Usually factory navigations have a better chance at a higher resale compared to one with an aftermarket. If I were to look for a used vehicle and I was presented with both, I would take the factory one just because i don't know how the aftermarket one was installed.

but if you're not selling it, then by all means go with whatever you prefer.

1 person likes this.
  3. JanTheMan

JanTheMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How do you reset the navigation to factory default? I purchases a used Honda, and want to delete all prior information in the nav system to set it up for my current location.

1 person likes this.
  4. ALLISONWhite

ALLISONWhite New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My used Honda Pilot navigation was already reset by the dealer where I bought it. So why not try to ask your car dealer on the steps or better check your car manual to solve your problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Honda shows A $2,000 cost for the nav system, and the 2009 has Bluetooth included. Ours already has XM radio included, as well as the PCM card slot, and it's light-years ahead of the Toyota version. Why go aftermarket for minor savings, when you can get the factory option?

1 person likes this.
  6. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I LOVE the Honda navigation systems.... once you get it down you can do so many things in just seconds and they're customizable if you take the time to write a little code (which anyone can do).

There's no way I would go with a dinky little TomTom type navi but a flip out head unit type might not be too bad.

1 person likes this.