1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Develops New 1.8L i-VTEC Engine

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, looks like Honda might shake up the compact car segment.

Tokyo, Japan, July 5, 2005 - (JCN Newswire) - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (LSE: 7267q) today announced that it has developed a new 1.8l i-VTEC engine to be introduced this fall in the new Civic that achieves both more powerful performance and improved fuel economy. The engine employs an intelligent VTEC system that switches the valve timing for maximum efficiency during startup and acceleration to achieve powerful, torquey performance, then delays intake valve closure timing during cruising and other low-load conditions for improved fuel economy. Use of the valve timing control system results in off-the-line acceleration performance equivalent to a 2.0-liter engine, fuel economy approximately 6% better than the current 1.7-liter Civic engine, making it one of the world's most efficient 1.8-liter engine designs. During cruising, the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-liter engine.

Full Article

FYI, 174Nm is 128lb-ft

Edit: Odd since the Corolla had variable valve timing since 2000 and drive-by wire throttle since last May. There is a difference between VTEC and i-VTEC such is the difference between VVT-i and VVTL-i

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hmm, oblique descriptions of the Atkinson-Miller cycle engine without naming it, looks like Honda combined (finally, or already?) the VTEC-e efficiencies with the i-VTEC too. One of the VTEC-e things was intelligent valve control by shutting down to only one set of intake/exhaust valves during idling for example.

A nit, it almost sounds like if Honda is still doing the combined exhaust manifold/cat. All the 1996-2001 Civic manifolds had an unfixed design flaw that caused it to crack regularly @ around every 100K miles. It's probably due to the manifold being cast instead of alloy, and high-revving VTEC giving it a lot of heat stress.

This wouldn't be so bad usually except to fix it except you have to replace the whole unit which includes the cat and O2 sensor; a $1.5K deal for a crack.