1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Hybrids

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jstack, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The differences in the Honda hybrids to the Toyota Prius is quite complex. They both get about the same mpg but the Prius can go all electric for slow trips and short distances. Honda's can't move without the gas engine.

Becuase of this the Prius can be modified to be a plugin hybrid and get 100+ mpg. That's really great.

Since there are fewer Prius available you have to wait to get one and many dealers charge extra. With Honda you can deal and get one for less than sticker.

Anyone know any other major differences ?

Jim

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ermmm i believe Prius gets more on average..
    there's a reason you can get a "deal" for less than sticker because, well, the Prius is just a much better car overall. Do you want to compromise space, technology, safety, comfort, etc? And I don't know about your area, but in St Louis there is only ONE dealer that charges extra. But that was a year and a half ago. Even now I don't know if they still charge over. Waiting lists are only 3 months now... even I only waited 30 days to get mine last December.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

1) It's been announced that Honda is reworking their hybrid design and that the new design will be more like the Prius.

2) Other companies, especially Ford, have a design less like the Honda, and more like the Prius. In fact, although Ford is said to have designed their drive system independently, but when they finished it, it was so close to the Toyota design that Ford decided to pay Toyota a license fee rather than try to prevail in court.

It seems to me that these 2 items alone indicate that minds much cleverer than mine think the Prius design is superior, and I didn't even mention the technology itself.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll give you space, technology and safety.

But don't tell me that the Prius is more comfortable than the Honda hybrids. I heard that they were going to transport those Afghan detainees in Priuses, but decided the seats would be considered torture. :)

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Imitation is a great compliment.

But sadly, Honda won't be able to match the full-range of abilities (like Prius) without switching to a design that allows power to be split. There is probably some other way to achieve it than Toyota & Ford did, but certainly not with the current design that has the motor & engine sharing the same shaft. Some type of separation is needed.

6. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I agree the Prius is a full hybrid with the ability to drive on only electric which is key for plugin hybrid ability.
    A friend ran out of gas , drove 2-3 miles to a gas station on all electric at about 40 mph. That's real neat.
    Also the calcars plugin hybrid with extra battery capacity was a Prius , I wish my Honda could be modofied like that but it just doesn't have that ability.
    Hondas good but full hybrid Prius is key. I think the Escape and RX400 are too big but they have full hybrid technology so could be modified to plugin hybrid.
    Jim

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Which Honda hybrid are you comparing the Prius to because the Honda 5 speed Insight gets much better mpg.

8. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, some of us found the Prius much more comfortable then the HCH. I test drove both and there was no way I would be comfortable in the HCH, but was in the Prius.

Rest, I am pretty sure jstack is comparing hybrids of about the same size (hence the Prius and the HCH, soon to be Camry and HAH). Comparing the Insight and the Prius in terms of mileage is not apples to apples. (I have seen an Insight driver on greenhybrid who thinks the Prius may have a higher ceiling for gas mileage--he is one of the 5 who drove in the 110mpg gallon tank earlier this month).

9. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    FYI, I was comparing CIVIC to Prius since they are similar seating and size. The Prius has the option of being plugin adapted like calcars did and Honda can't yet.
    The Prius back seat folds down adn Honda can't.
    These maybe like small differences but after having the CIVIC sine 03 I really appreciate the better options of a Prius.

Jim