1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda Insight - My First Impressions From the Auto Show

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I went to the auto show today and they had an Insight on the floor that was unlocked so I decided to check it out and see how it stacked up to the Prius. Here are my first impressions

• narrower than the Prius
    • Seats were comfortable (both front and back). However, the centre seat is rock solid and probably only used if you need to punish your kid
    • rear headroom is slightly less than the current Prius (so tall folks will hit the ceiling
    • steering wheel is straight out from the Civic
    • dashboard is straight out from the Fit or Civic (i.e. cheap plastic... Yaris-like)
    • No rear cupholders (only bottle holders in the door)
    • decent legroom in the rear
    • Sightlines are good. The rear is the same as the current Prius
    • trunk is a good size
    • False floor is made from the flimsy piece of material I've ever seen. It felt like thin cardboard
    • spare tyre partially sits on top of the battery
    • side bins on both side but covered in the same flimsy cardboard-like material
    • ingress/egress was easy
    • glovebox is decent
    • exterior door handle felt cheap (no solid feeling when I pulled the handles)

In short, it was definitely built to a price but if the price is right, people that are looking for vehicles in that price range probably won't mind. If it can get the mpg, then fine. I mean people don't buy a Fit or a Yaris and expect Accord or Camry-like materials, right?

2. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Did you compare it to the FIT on the same display?

I did the comparison earlier at the Detroit auto show and the differences in the materials, fit and finish were noticeable. To me, the FIT looked like a more solid package and overall tighter. Granted, much of what is on display is hardly production grade and likely not salable, but it appears the Insight might have implemented cost saving measures far more aggressively than what we see on the FIT in a variety of areas.

As for comparing the Prius to the HI-II, it is hardly a contest. These cars were never, ever meant to be in the same class... but I am very interested on the impact it may have on the subcompact market, namely the FIT and Yaris sale's numbers. Again, I guess it all depends on its MSRP.

Cheers;

MSantos

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No because I already saw the Fit but I guess I should've to get a direct comparison.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    shame on the industry days in detroit i did not see a insight beside that one rotating behind a glass ( dont step over ) surrounding it

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a shame Leon, I would have liked a closer look at the Insight. There might have been a 0.01% chance I would consider a Honda over a Toyota but it was a chance.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    honestly, I'm having mixed feelings about the Insight. I'm happy that it is going to be < the HCH-II so that more people can afford it and that it's a hatchback (so Honda owners finally have a hybrid with folding seats) but parts of it felt really cheap.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More auto show pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even more:

[​IMG]
    I'm curious to know if the spare tyre is holding up the false floor. If so, what happens if you have to use it?

[​IMG]
    Here's the side compartment. Note how thin the carpet is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting... MFD, radio controls, etc... all one unit...

so that means, one thing breaks, replace it all. makes it easy for the tech, but how much would a multi-integrated unit cost?

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i got mixed feelings to

even more about the fact its so prius like!!

china car company's copy cars and now honda copy's the prius.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No HSD. 'Nuff said.

13. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    You know...

... if you repeat this type of stuff often enough it may even be seen as true.;)

Re-writing history does happen but that would be a pity for it to happen at PC because most PC members are anything but mis-informed. :)

Wouldn't you agree?

Cheers;

MSantos

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well keep in mind that the original Insight had that same split window.

Once you sit inside it, you know it's not Prius-like.

15. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Ahhh... what the heck...

I usually don't do this but I'll give it a shot just to share a few truths to my fellow Prius owners. Hopefully nobody needs to be concerned about the HI-II as if it copied anything from the 2G Prius. My hope is that some of you don't get too depressed if you find that it might just have been the other way around ? :eek::eek:

A 2000 Honda Insight parked beside a 2004 Prius. Just like what we have done at HybridFest for quite a few years... Hummm... I know something must me wrong here. The overall silluette is disturbingly similar between the two.

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to visualize what the original insight might have looked like with a 4 door, 5 passenger arrangement. Maybe the Insight-II holds the answer.

Anyway, onto the split window thingy that so many of us get hung up on...
    [​IMG]

Hummm... I don't really know what to make of these pics. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Oops... split window copied ? Nah, the plausible explanation is that Honda used a time machine to travel 4 years into the future and copied the 2G Prius. How shameless of them not to share the time travel tech with us. ;)

[​IMG]

While on the subject of hatchbacks and split window can the following make any sense?

[​IMG]

Yes, the CRX which was manufactured from 1984 to 1991.

Like I said, Honda had/has no reason to copy the body of the 2G Prius. They did this shape arrangement before and the rest is history... unless we intend to rewrite it. So far it appears we've been doing a fine job at that here at PC. :(

Cheers;

MSantos

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention that the C-Class coupe also had a split window but much much smaller than any of the vehicles that MSantos mentioned.

I actually saw someone with a CRX with the Insight's "hybrid" sticker in the rear window in the same place on the left side of the window.

17. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I don't think the Prius looks much like a 2 door Insight, however I agree with the Dutchman, the new Insight looks like a series 2 Prius.
    I'm not surprised the Honda feels cheap, to me they always have. Sorry if that offends any Honda owners but in all my years working on cars I thought Hondas feel cheap and flimsy. No I can't quantify that either and I recommend people make their own assessment on that. I might point out I haven't touched a Honda since 2000.
    I don't like the look of the panel where the audio head unit is mounted, it looks nasty.

18. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi Pat;

No offense taken. ;)

You made it very clear that your views and assessments are subjective and we'll leave at that because quite frankly I am no different. :D
    Now I'll definitely agree that the new Insight feels flimsy not only because I had a fair amount of "hands on" time with it, but also Tideland and others definitely confirm it as well.

But let's clear, in terms of flimsiness the new Insight is not and was never meant to be Prius like, not HCH-II like by a VERY extra long shot, it is even flimsier than the Honda FIT/Jazz. But it is arguably as flimsy as the older Toyota Corollas, Echos and Yaris - without being as spartan and as simple as the last two.

This is a characteristic of the market and price it intends to target and while I cannot see myself buying a new Insight since it is far less sophisticated than an HCH-II, let alone a Gen 2 Prius, I will resoundingly applaud Honda for the effort of producing a hybrid vehicle with such demonstrated FE potential that is actually affordable. :eek:

My pet peeve is that we often lose sight of the intrinsic fact that the Prius and HCH-II are not within the realm of affordability for many folks and if they want a Tier 2/Bin 3 vehicle with a potential to exceed 55 MPG they are simply out of luck... or worse yet, they go to a "clean diesel" let alone being subject to the dealer hell that VW is often known for.

Now, if Toyota had a low cost hybrid entry into this market then the fan zealotry is more than justified since it is a matter of picking who's best. Right now, its is just the same old chronic myopia and selfishness that saddens me when we bash anything non-Prius. At times, it makes me wonder if the 3 Prius I bought really puts me in the same league as some PC members. :(

Cheers;

MSantos

19. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the same here
    i dont think the gen2 looks like the first insight at all.

i do think the new insight looks a lot like the gen 2 prius

and yes whe all now that already
    but when i was looking at these pics......... something hit me again that i needed to comment that again.

to me it almost looks like the plastic protection/cover agains the inner rear windows is a 100 copy from the gen 2.

20. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to admit I am rather one eyes.
    It isn't Prius but Toyota I am one eyed about and that comes from 18 years working on all makes of cars.
    I agree the Insight should sell for well under the price of a Prius, it is a shame it wont by the look of things hit the mark in economy but I guess again you get what you pay for.
    I'm an imposter in this Prius world myself, I couldn't afford a new Prius when I got mine so I purchased second hand, that's cool, I went out for a new Corolla and came home with a Prius!

I know Honda have a strong following and a reputation for a quality product, in motorcycles they are the pick of manufacturers. I have no doubt that over the last 8 years they have progressed from the cars I remember. I might add I have never even seen an Insight except the Insight II at the Detroit Auto Show.

Time for me to sleep now.
    Night