1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honda to stick with NiMH in Hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by efusco, Mar 24, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda Sticking with NiMH instead of moving to Lithium for their next Hybrid
    Honda President Takeo Fukui says lithium ion technology is still too unreliable for mass production.
    By HANS GREIMEL, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

From Detroit to Tokyo, automakers are banking on lithium ion batteries to power the next generation of hybrid and electric vehicles, starting as early as next year.

But Honda President Takeo Fukui says the technology is still too unreliable to warrant mass production. What's more, Honda's highly anticipated "affordable hybrid"--its answer to the Toyota Prius--will debut next year with standard nickel-metal hydride power packs.

"Lithium ion batteries are still not usable from our perspective," Fukui told Automotive News in an interview at Honda's Tokyo headquarters on Wednesday, March 19.

"In terms of reliability and durability, I must say there still remain some concerns," he said. "I don't think they are necessarily best suited for mass-produced vehicles."

Honda's caution stands in marked contrast to the optimism voiced by rivals such as General Motors, Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. All have announced plans to sell cars equipped with lithium ion batteries. Mitsubishi hopes to have its i MiEV electric vehicle on the road in Japan as early as 2009.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nothing wrong with that, although i don't know how expensive nickel is at the moment but it shouldn't be too bad esp. if it's still cheaper than Li-Ion. That is the point of Honda's hybrid anyway - to offer a low cost hybrid solution.

3. C.RICKEY HIROSE

Also, Honda's IMA Hybrid system will not gain much advantage
    by going to Lithium battery. If Honda to stick with their integrated
    motor assist low kilowatt electric motors of current, I see why Honda isn't going the Lithium Ion route..

4. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "for release" and "for sale" are quite different, aren't they?
    Clarity is for closed-end lease only.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There are many "enthusiasts" eager for LiIon batteries.

Be aware there are few drawbacks to NiMH batteries.
    They are easy to recycle.
    They are very reliable.
    They are well understood.
    In a "standard hybrid" (not a plugin) they have enough capacity to give all the benefit needed for mileage improvement. Tests have shown even doubling the current cars battery capacity doesn't significantly improve mileage.

The only disadvantage compared to LiIon is weight. They weigh about twice what a LiIon of equivalent capacity does. So switching to LiIon in the current Prius would save about 30-50 lbs. Not enough to really matter.

LiIon batteries currently have several disadvantages.
    They are -hard- to recycle currently.
    They are not well understood (yet).

Now, if we're talking about a plugin hybrid, then LiIon would be preferable. Here you want maximum battery capacity possible at reasonable weight to extend EV range.

But as Honda and Toyota have both implied, LiIon batteries are not yet ready for "prime time".

I'm happy to see Honda state the facts, instead of burying them like GM!

8. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    100% of the power supplied to drive a hybrid comes from gasoline. It shouldn't make any difference (in mileage) if the battery chemistry is Lithium-ion or Nickel Metal Hydride. In this application, Nickel Metal Hydride is probably the better choice.

However, if one is thinking in terms of a plug-in hybrid, then a Lithium-ion battery has the advantage because better storage capacity to size/weight factor.

Keith

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Emphasis mine.

I remember that when the first fellow (Wayne Green???) dropped a second battery into a Prius, he got significantly better mileage. This was not a PHEV. Just twice the battery. The reason apparently was that the battery serves to buffer the ICE's output (as well as to store regenerated energy) and a bigger buffer was an improvement. The down side was cost. Toyota had to balance FE against sticker price. But a battery with more capacity does give higher FE.

My guess is that Honda is looking at the cost difference.

Why is everybody still stuck on li-ion? Li-ion is an unstable chemistry which requires very careful monitoring and must be kept cool, at the risk of catching fire.

Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4, or LiFe for short) is a stable chemistry that can operate up to something like 500 degrees Fahrenheit, making it the clear choice for an automobile.

GM claims it will use LiFe in the Volt. Not li-ion (I say "claims" because I don't expect them ever to actually manufacture the car.) Tesla Motors uses li-ion because LiFe didn't exist when they designed the Roadster, and because cost was a critical factor.

I have LiFe in my Xebra. (One of only a small handful of Xebras so equipped.)

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How easy and effective is it to recycle the LiFe?
    I've of only a 20% recovery with Li-ion.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was under the impression that lithium batteries were recyclable, but I have no actual information. It's a good question.

12. sola

sola New Member

Lithium batteries are definitely environment friendly but I am not sure about their recycling technology. NiMh should be pretty well recycled nowadays since AA and AAA rechargeable types are used at customers in huge quantites.

I too, think that doubling the NiMh capacity gives better mileage. The efficiency of the regenerative braking should double, just to mention one thing.

I also very often run out of buffer, so extra capacity would come in handy in the following cases:

1) Mountain driving. You loose a lot of electricity on the way up and gain a lot down. Currently, the juice runs out at half the way up and the battery gets full halfway down.

2) Stop-and-go driving. Currently, the Prius looses its electricity in 5-10 minutes in a queue and then it has to switch the ICE on (and start getting bad mileage). With more battery, you could be in the queue for a longer time period before the ICE activates.