1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Honestly, how hard is it to switch out the head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jfinsocal, May 26, 2005.

1. jfinsocal

jfinsocal New Member

At first glance it looks like it is non-trivial. I have a Sony HU with a first generation XM tuner box that is mounted in the trunk of my Acura with the amp and the sub enclosure. Crutchfield won't vouch (on the website anyway) that my HU will fit.

I like the fact that the subs can fit into the hatch of the Prius with some room over for luggage and other stuff but if I can't get the other electronics hooked up this advantage is negated.

Thanks in advance

JF

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

JBL or no? If you are looking to keep the touchscreen/steering wheel control, then you are unlikely to be able to swap out the header.

For JBL system, the sound processing (volume, fade, balance, EQ) is handled completely by the amp through control from the MFD (not sure if the header is also involved in the communication), so both the header AND the amp would need to be swapped, unless your header has fixed line level output that the amp could use.
    But then, if you don't change the new header's audio settings, then controlled line level should be fine.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe someday JBL can be convinced to make a new head unit that plays MP3s and also has a slot for an iPod instead of the casette. Full iPod controls through wheel controls, of course.

Keep the iPod out of sight, and they'd have at least one upgrade customer...

4. jfinsocal

jfinsocal New Member

If I buy this car I certainly won't upgrade to the JBL system. Looking deeper in the threads it looks like there is a slot below that of the stock radio where an aftermarket can be installed. True? Does this affect functionality of anything else in the electronics package? Are there any non-standard harnesses/connections here?

Also, I assume there is no problem mounting the XM tuner and amp in the hatchback right?

Thanks again in advance.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can take out the radio if you don't mind losing the MFD confirmation beeps, I believe the AVC terminating resistor is in the MFD.

The audio steering wheel controls go to the radio, so you'd lose that, unless you get another Toyota radio, in which case you can move the steering control leads to the new radio. The MFD would not be able to control the aftermarket radio, unless it understands AVC. If the latter is the case, then you can replace the existing header.

6. jfinsocal

jfinsocal New Member

Sorry for the stupid question:

What is MFD?

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Multi Function Display. Officially, I think it is just Multi-Display. The big 5" screen on the dash between you and the passenger. :)

To answer the other question I am suprised you didn't ask, AVC is Audio-Visual Communications. It is the network between the MFD, header, NAV and JBL amp. There's also a gateway on this LAN to get information from the other networks on the car, mostly so that the MFD can tell you what the car is doing. Other marketing regions have other devices on the AVC, such as the auto-park device, DVD, Mini-disk, etc.

8. jfinsocal

jfinsocal New Member

It seems stupid to sacrifice this stuff unnecessarily, Does this Prius XM work and what kind of outputs does it have? I guess I shoud give them a call.

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is supposed to be a "dash kit" for the Prius to install a single din head unit where the current head unit is.

It's from a company called Metra, and the part number is 99-8213.

I don't know if it is available yet.

Nate

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Prius XM hooks into the aux connection on the back of the header. The MFD and steering controls will work the Prius XM with 3 banks of 6 presets, much the same way FM works. I believe installation instructions are shown in the KB.

11. jfinsocal

jfinsocal New Member

Another question. Does the OEM radio have RCA outputs that I can feed to an external amp?

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not any that are documented.

13. jfinsocal

jfinsocal New Member

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Bottom line is: This car isn't designed for those looking to install aftermarket stereos. That's too bad because the hatchback is perfect for a sub enclosure. I guess I could get an XM plug and play and the JBL system but I really dislike PNP units.

Looks like the HCH for me.

Thanks again.

JF

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can add a sub, many have. Just use the rear speakers as the source.