1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hood and hood latch adjustment help needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by k9scooter, Dec 28, 2009.

1. k9scooter

k9scooter New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I smashed my '05 Prius about 2 weeks ago and after spending some time here in the forums reading, I aquired the parts to fix it. I needed a new hood, bumper cover, bumper reinforcement and I'll still need a new driver's side headlight. It was a salvaged vehicle when I purchased it and I had never had any problems at all with it. Once I got into the repair, I found that the hood that was on it was a replacement steel hood, so I just got another steel hood to fix MY crash damage. It was only $70 (hard to beat that). Anyhow, I had to straighten the driver's side radiator support and remove the driver's side hood hinge and straighten it in order to get the hood gaps to line up. Now everything seems to be about right but I'm now having problems getting my hood to latch properly.

This cheap steel replacement hood has the steel 1/4" bent bar that slips down into the latch that seems to not be adjustable. There are four bolts on the bottom of the hood that surround the latch bar, and I thought that by loosening the bolts that the bar could be positioned so that it could be aligned with the latch. No go. Loosening the bolts doesn't allow the latch bar to move. So, I can't get it to align properly. The left right orientation of the latch/bar is ok, but it's the fore/aft that's the problem. The latch bar needs to move back. In order to get it to latch I've had to move the latch forward by spacing the latch away from the upper radiator support bar by about 5/16" using a bunch of washers. This is hopefully just a temporary fix until I can figure out something better. I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this. If anybody can give me any pointers as to how to adjust this hood and/or latch I'd love to hear them.

offib likes this.