1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hood Deflector Effectiveness?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John in Portland, Jan 20, 2006.

1. John in Portland

John in Portland New Member

I would like to ask those who HAVE installed a hood deflector on their 2004/5/6 Prius whether it has been 100% effective in preventing stone chips over the entire hood? In searching through Priuschat I have not found a clear answer to this question.

Also, if you have the hood deflector installed, please indicate where purchased. (I have read that Sigma, Toyota of Canada and Wooddash.com all sell some form of deflector and there may be minor differences in their size, shape & effectiveness.)

Please, no comments on the comparative merits of clear paint protection film and/or the vinyl bra - these have been coverend numerous times already in previous threads.

Thank you.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

That'd be the one that produces harmonics at hiway speed? Smoked plastic with a hole for the Toyota emblem?

3. John in Portland

John in Portland New Member

That's right Frank.

And you raise a good point. I guess that's one question I forgot to ask: Do you experience any problems (such as noise, vibration, harmonics, paint problems etc.) with your hood deflector?

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I personally don't have one but a friend of mine took it off because of the harmonics that it caused at road speed. He has it laying in his garage. I was going to offer to buy it till he told me of the troubles with it and no one could solve it. Lots of people have it but this is the only one who said it produced the harmonics. This was one of the ones sold by Toyota.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The one I have is very thick (over twice as thick as other bug deflectors) and very securely fastened. I'd be surprised if it vibrated at any speed a Prius could reach. I certainly don't notice the noise at freeway speeds, the tire/road noise overwhelms any other noise the car is making.

I bought mine from Toyota in Canada and it cost over $40 to ship to California.

It does nothing for rock hits on the front bumper though, which is the problem I have now.