1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hood deflector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by eak354, May 18, 2004.

1. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    has anyone purchased and installed the hood deflector? was installation difficult? is there a space between it and the hood itself? if so, is it easy to remove to be able to clean under it (as well as the hood it covers)?

hood deflector

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are photos of the hood deflector in the photo page. I got mine from ToyotaTown in Langley, BC. Ask for Steve. I forget the part number, but it's also somewhere in this data base. I believe the cost was 80 bucks Canadian which is about 50 bucks US. Worth it.
    There is a space of about a quarter of an inch between the deflector and the hood. The space is maintained by installing three clear rubbery hemispheres to the hood (they come with adhesive backing). The rubbery things can be removed if you decide later to get rid of the cover. The glue didn't seem like "paint remover" strength glue and it wouldn't make sense to manufacture a hood deflector with mounting hardware that removed the paint it was supposed to protect. The deflector itself is relatively easy to install and does not require any drilling. You do have to be fairly precise in measurements, however, so that the deflector lines up properly with the hood and the headlights. It has an oval cutout that fits around the hood logo and you'd want that centered up to look good.
    As for cleaning under the cover, a jet of soapy water is about all you'd need since the deflector will keep bugs and dirt off the paint. It worked well on a 2k mile trip to California. In short, it is not convenient to remove it just to clean under it. It can be removed, but you run the risk of losing the very tiny screws that hold it to the mounting brackets. The airflow under it probably will keep dirt from accumulating.
    As for appearance: It took very little getting used to. It does look like a Salvador Dali moustache, but is a tastefully neutral smoked grey plexiglass that will fit with any color car.
    As a final note: I noticed on my road trip that I had far fewer bugs on my windshield than other cars at the rest stops. I attribute this to the wedgey aerodynamic shape of the car, but the hood deflector may have helped keep small rocks and bugs off the whole car, not just the part under the deflector.
    Bob

3. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for feedback! i'm leaning toward getting it (though i do have invinca shield but i messed-up installation, lotsa visible bubbles :? ) i guess i'll cover it with the hood deflector. :mrgreen: no sense peeling it off and wasting it. thanks again!

4. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    this part doesn't seem to be listed on their website any more...

rpm

5. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    thanks! they do carry a bug deflector for the NG Prius ($90 is a little steep for me, though) that does not require tape or drilling.

FYI, I confirmed with Toyota Town in B.C. that they no longer carry the bug deflector; they said it was because of shipping costs. Eddie at metro toyota in Cleveland said he can't get them, either.

rpm

7. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) That is where I purchased mine from and you are correct no drilling....

Ben

8. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The hood deflector at wooddash does not look as though it has a cutout for the Toyota emblem.....is it the same as the one originally mentioned?

9. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Yes there is a cutout for the Toyota Emblem.

Ben