1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hood Won't Open. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Jul 2, 2011.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, my hood does not want to open. The hood will not pop up enough to allow me to unlatch it and open it. Currently, the workaround is to insert a very thin screwdriver into the weatherstriping between the hood and the bumper and gently "nudge" the hood open.

Obviously this is unacceptable and will need to be fixed. From inside the cabin, it feels like the lever is on the loose side and the hood release cable needs more tension. Does anyone know how to tighten the hood release cable or has any idea of how to fix this?

Thanks.

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Removing the panel inside the car will allow you access to the cable. If the cable is just loose, that should let you pull it as far as needed. Then you can tighten it (assuming the tightening mechanism is in the engine compartment).

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd have it repaired under warranty.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1

If you have any problems whatsoever (in the first 3 years/36K miles) you simply need to bring it into the dealer. You paid for the warranty, you should use it.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a toilet plunger and stick it on the hood & give it a swift yank upward :doh:

Mike :p

danlatu and mypriuscious like this.
  6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you have to "nudge" it open with a screwdriver (hope you wrap it in tape or cloth first), and it moves just enough to get to the latch under the hood, then the release inside the passenger compartment is working. Every once in a while, especially during hot days, I pop the release from inside the car and notice that the hood doesn't move. I think it's just the weatherstripping sticking to the hood. I just pry it up with my fingers.

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can also just hit it with your hand or fist on the top of the front of the hood. This should make it pop all the way open. You may need to adjust the two hood things. I can't think what their called but they screw in and out of the car to help hold the hood when it is closed. if you look around the front support by the radiator you will see the two things and you should be able to see on the underside of the hood where it touches the things.

danlatu likes this.
  8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the end of the release cable is a small bar (the cable and the bar form a "T").

I'm thinking that you can slide the release cable off its track on the lever door, and then pull on the cable with your fingers. Or you can just pull the exposed cable with a pair of pliers.

(Until you get the dealer to fix it under warranty. Even if it were out of warranty, I think the dealer would fix it for free if you get other work or service done.)

9. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all of the ideas. Strangely, the hood is working fine again right now so if I brought it to the dealer they're probably going to say no problem found. LOL.

MB860 ?

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe just exercise the hood latch a bit by opening & closing it a few times. Might just be close tolerances and needing a bit of wear to loosening it up.

I still like that toilet plunger idea but that would be a bit hard on the paint :p

Mike ;)

11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well at the moment my paint looks horrendous due to the clear bra install so I'm quite intrigued by your idea lol.
    MB860 ?

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What happened with the clear bra install? Was it a do it yourself or a shop install? I have never tried installing one yet so I have no idea the possibilities. I suppose as a commercial would say, the possibilities are endless :(

Mike

13. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a couple issues.

First, I had my hood polished out perfectly. My installer decided it was a good idea to strip the paint a bit more (fine with me), but he washed the car with a dirty mitt and dried with a dirty chamosis. Of course, this put some swirls in the paint. :eek:

Second, he had issues with the bumper. The piece sent to me by the supplier (who I'm also upset with at the moment, since they charged me for a 24" hood kit but sent me an 18") didn't have the best fitment. Also, my installer left a few wrinkles on the piece as well as a ton of bubbles.

Third, the mirror pieces sent to me by the supplier are about 2" short. But my installer installed them anyway. Why would you install pieces that are too short?!?!

Needless to say, my car looks like a disaster right now and I have absolutely no idea how I am going to deal with this if the bubbles don't "dry" since the installer is an old classmate who did this on the side so I doubt I have much recourse at all.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that sucks big time. If the overlay is like a Zagg screen protector, then the bubbles will magically go away. I had a Zagg protector put on my iPhone and it had bubbles but the installer said they would be gone in a week and they were. If a car overlay works the same way then your fine. How long has it been on the car?

If the bubbles will never go away, then I would remove the overlay and go to a shop that specializes in vinyl overlays and get it done right. I hope your paint isn't jacked up now.

Mike

15. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Paint is probably fine. If the film ever comes off Meguiars M105/M205 and my Flex will have it fixed in no time at all.

I got it done today so its only been on the car for 8 hours. But my main concern is the wrinkles, may be I can have a real clear bra shop see if they can fix those.

Yeah, it is very similar to the zagg stuff. I'll wait and see.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See if the wrinkles can be worked down. Well sounds like the bubbles should settle out as they do with a Zagg :p I was imagining that you had it done long ago and it was toast for good. My next car is going to get a overlay on whatever can be done. Just don't know which car yet :confused: I'd surely like to hear how your overlay is doing next week. Is it 3M material or what manufacturer?

Mike

17. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is the Ventureshield Ultra. It is much more clear than the 3M Scotchgard film. Funny thing is, 3M bought out Ventureshield about two years ago but the products have remained different. Though, I think the two films now use the same adhesive, but clarity, construction and durability are different.

18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some updates.

None of the bubbles on the film have come out and it has been over a week. Looks like I lost the cost of the film ($287) and the $200 I paid my buddy to install it. I'll probably have to pay a shop to strip the film and another $750 or so to reinstall.

As for the hood, I took it to the dealer and of course, it opened just fine. Now I have to wait for another time when it decides to malfunction.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn sad to hear your hood isn't better. That is a lot of money to get it right. That material must be different than the Zagg material. Hope you get it back to looking fine soon :tea:

Mike

20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That doesn't include the $250 I lost in window tint this week due to an incompetent installer and my own errors. The Audi dealer recommended this installer, and his work at the Audi dealer looked perfect, and of course his install was lousy on my car. Not having a good week at all...