1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hook for Kayaks

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Serafina, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Serafina

Serafina New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm trying to secure my kayaks to the front of my new 2016 Prius... There are no hooks on the bottom of my car as there were with my 2007 Prius.... What should I do? I put the tow hook in, but what about the other side, short of buying an additional tow-hook?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have no experience with kayaks, and no recommendation for securing one to a Prius, but I would note that the hook that comes with the car—called a “towing eyelet” in the Owner’s Manual—is Toyota part number 51961-47010, and the U.S. list price is $42.15; a Toyota dealer near me sells them online for $29 or so.

As seen in this part of an illustration from Toyota’s New Car Features book, for aerodynamics, the car’s front lower surface is almost entirely concealed with plastic covers, making it difficult to access the body structure:
    Covers.png
    I wouldn’t attach anything to the fasteners holding the covers in place, which presumably weren’t designed for additional loads. Many of these are just plastic clips, anyway.

3. John Kuhn

John Kuhn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I transport my kayak on my roof rack without tying front or rear, just strapped onto the two kayak carrier bars. But maybe my kayak isn't as long as yours. Mine certainly seems secure enough that no way would additional tie downs be needed.