1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hooking up Ipod to Prius C III

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by South_Bay_Surfer, Mar 25, 2012.

1. South_Bay_Surfer

South_Bay_Surfer New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Does using a normal Ipod Cable that I would plug into my computer work for linking my Ipod with my new Prius C III? I am looking for a Black Ipod cable so that the white cable does not stand out so much from the outside, any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. krneidigh

krneidigh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Yep they work. And the interface is pretty nice. IPOD stays charged and you can navigate it from the screen with the same type of controls that are physically on the IPOD. And all you need is just the usb cable, no transmitter or Aux input crap.

3. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    i using the cable from

Kensington PowerBolt Duo USB Auto Adapter & Charger for iPad1&2/iPhone 4 w/ Sync Cable (K33497US)

works and allows us to use the charger to charge my iPad, and bluetooth headset that I carry with me.

4. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Does anyone know if you have the same controls when using a non-iPod mp3 player? I have a Zune, and I'd love to be able to control it from the steering wheel. Afraid it might only have been integrated with the iPod specifically.

5. PlutoISaPlanet

PlutoISaPlanet New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    just go bluetooth

6. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It doesn't have Bluetooth, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll be able to listen to it just fine with the aux jack, just wondering if I can use the steering wheel controls if I plug it in with the USB. Car comes tomorrow, so I can just test it myself and find out.

7. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    In case there were any lurkers wondering, when I plugged in my Zune, it just said USB error, so I guess that answer is no. Now, I would have thought that it would at least be able to charge it, but I guess I'll stick to the 12V for that.

1 person likes this.
  8. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for reporting back in. I was kind of wondering what compatibility the system has. Toyota doesn't say much...

9. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    FYI, I was mistaken about the charging. Though it says USB Error on the stereo screen, the device itself does show that it's charging. Stereo just won't play it that way. Gotta go find a cheap aux cord!

10. Todd Fury

Todd Fury New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It comes with a USB to iPod cable and a regular headphone to headphone jack cable. I forgot my iPod cable when I went to get the car, and the first thing I did when I drove off the lot was go to the nearest Wal-Mart to buy one. I decided that $10 was too much for a replacement cable so I didn't buy it, but when I got back in the car I had a funny feeling so I opened the glove box, and there were two brand new iPod cables.

11. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Unless they're well hidden, mine did not come with cables. I thankfully had a spare aux cable that came with my phone dock.