1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hooray!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 28, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just wanted to get this out of my system: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, one more: [​IMG]

(I stole those from CleanMPG.com)

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I second that! B)

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

"back" button doesn't work in IE :(

4. billyboy

billyboy Guest

You may be back, but I'm having problems!

I'm using Microsoft's Explorer 6.0 under Windows XP Pro and noticed all of the following since you are back up that wasn't there before:

1. the browser back button has no effect at all, requires me to go to View New Posts or whatever
    each time. Gets old fast.

2. Every time I clink to see a post I hear a machine gun like clicking, 4-5-10 times before the page finally
    loads. Again this is very annoying, wasn't there before and obviously doesn't happen on other
    forums, I run one myself.

What was the issue that caused you to be down? Whatever it was, still seems like things are broken.

I just tried accessing your forums using both Opera and Firefox browsers and using those your forums load and behave normally. Just to be sure I tired going to other forums besides my own or yours that use similar software and they too work correctly with Explorer 6, so something seems to be a miss at your end. :(

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I'm on Firefox, and having to problems. So far anyhow.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Sep 28 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]325021[/snapback]</div>
    Second that. Firefox, no problems at all~.

7. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I was in the process of posting when the site crashed - but I see my post made it - hopefully not much was lost.

Glad we're back -

Any details on the cause / culprit?

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hooray is right! :)

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the IE problem for a month or more. No problems in Firefox, though. :)

10. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

according to the reply to my post on camry chat it was "planned" down time.

HOORAY!

The back button isnn't working becuase it looks like its loading a but load of individual images. :( this is gonna make navigation a PITA.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure if it's related, but there is a known "bug" in IE dealing with images and caching... don't remember the details (came across it when working on a new caching scheme here at work a few days ago), but supposedly it's an intential design introduced in ie 6 that makes the browser load images individually when they're not coming from the cache. In the sample page i saw, the same image was loaded several hundred times - in IE, you could see the individual loads, but in Firefox it was all instantaneous because it loaded all but the first out of the cache.

It was theorized that Microsoft did this to fool all those people who track browser hits on websites... Now Firefox users will be registered as one hit for a particular page, while IE users could be registered as many more... potentially hundreds!

This may be the problem you're seeing, however it may also not be.

Danny, here's a quick analysis i ran for ya:
    It seems that you're using the default caching settings of the server, sending 304 Not Modified response for the images once they're in the browser cache (assuming they're current, which of course all mine are). You might want to think about setting expires dates for the images, so the browser won't even make the trip to your server all that often - it'll help decrease some load on the server, as well as unneeded trips, which is always a good thing from a performance point of view.

I also noticed that there were several 404 Not found messages returned for portions of the page. While i can't see anything visually missing, these may be responsible for the problems people are reporting with IE, and may just be some files that were inadvertantly moved or not loaded back on the server yet. I'm attaching a txt file with the http headers IE sends and receives from this page... unfortunately the tool i have only logs them as they happen, and doesn't create automatic associations between request and response headers... you'll have to sort them out to figure out what's returning the 404, unless you have more detailed server logs.

well, went to attach and got the following message: "The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error."
    So until you get that fixed, you can checkout the headers at: http://eagle33199.servebeer.com/PC report.txt

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Sep 28 2006, 07:24 AM) [snapback]325012[/snapback]</div>
    I almost never use the Back button. It's too slow. When I used IE I opened links in a new window. With Firefox I open links in a new tab. Then by closing the tab or window I eliminate the wait for the previous page to re-load.

What's the reason for continuing to use IE anyway? It's kind of like drinking kool-aid when you could have orange juice.

13. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Sep 28 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]325023[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. IE had been giving us problems for awhile so a month ago we went Firefox for 95% of our internet browsing (some of the sites we peruse aren't set up for Firefox yet). Stupid Microsoft errors...

Just tested PC with IE and the back button seems to be working fine for me.

14. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Sep 28 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]325012[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't know that anyone still used IE :p I haven't used Opera, either, for a while. Firefox is the only one I use anymore. Of course, the site could be one of those diabolical ones who disable the back button.