1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hopefully getting a Prius

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by fenix, Mar 30, 2004.

1. fenix

fenix New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but have been interested in the Prius since 2000. Because of my age, I've never been able to afford a Prius, but now, I just landed a great paying new job, and am extremely interested in a 2004 Prius. Because of my lack of experience, I've been doing tons of research online about purchasing a Prius.

My question is how should I go about getting a Prius. I understand that I will probably have to wait a rather long time (which is okay) but should I place an order on toyota.com or through a dealer? I have heard that dealing with dealerships online can save you money. My location is Tampa, Florida, and I have heard about a dealership in New Port Richey (SunToyota) who sold a package 9 (BC) for just over $24,000. So, needless to say, I would like to deal with them. Thanks for any help you can give.

Oh, I would prefer a Black or Silver BC.

Thanks.

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on making a great decision to buy the Prius. You will not be disappointed. The most important thing I can tell you is to be open to as many possible combinations of colors and packages you can. If you lock yourself into a certain color and package, you may indeed wait quite a while.

Welcome to this group. It is the best of the Prius groups on the web IMO.

You may also want to check out the some of the many ariticles about the Prius posted on my web page, which you see in my signature.

Jeff

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I was hoodwinked by Sun Toyota. And by a salesperson that goes to my church! He never clued me in on the markup, as a matter of fact, stated as we were getting down to talk that other dealers charge as much as 3-5K over MSRP, but they don't.

They add $3900 market markup on all their PRii, along with the other junk the port supposedly puts on. I was there last night for a new car clinic. Found out the new tires for life is only if you get maintenance (which for a Prius is oil change and tire rotation) exclusively from them. Was never told that at the sale. Along with leather seats and 17" Pirelli wheels/tires, came out to $35K.

Unfortunately, I was just investigating and ended up buying, since my previous car was just totalled. Wish I had seen this site first!

Their service department seems nice though. I may still use them for repairs. Haven't decided on the maintenance yet, other than the complimentary 1st oil change I just had done.

4. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've heard that going through internet sales/fleet is much easier than the normal retail. You can still use the internet sales guy even if the dealership is in your area--just contact them by emailing them. Although my local dealership supposedly had a super-long wait, I was offered cars through the internet guy after just 3 months (at MSRP, but with lots of port options). I actually ended up buying my car in a different state, again through the internet sales rep. However, you may end up having a different wait time, because a lot of dealerships have both retail and internet/fleet and allocate cars differently to the two divisions (see the whole saga with Carson Toyota). Even if you go the internet route, I don't think you're going to get a Prius for less than MSRP unless there's a sudden huge surplus of cars with no buyers (seems unlikely).

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fenix\";p=\"9034)</div>
    I would be VERY surprised if they sold a BC for $2K under MSRP unless it was the first car they sold before people figured out this would be THE hot car of 2004. You better find the source of this story and if the dealer tells you they will give you that price, get it in writing, specify that you will NOT pay for any unrequested options, in writing, signed. Be prepared to walk.

A silver BC will be one of the easier combinations to come by unless they have changed the proportions of what they are building. I think about 50% of the '04s were silver and maybe 40% were BC? When a car is in demand, make the most expensive ones the most available. :)

I contacted several dealers through the Toyota.com site. I put together my request, then just pasted it into the "email" entry area for each dealer. You can call them directly, but I figured this way they had my "not over MSRP", color and package info right in front of them. I also asked about the length of their list and how many cars they were getting in. If they were going to charge over MSRP, I imagine they wouldn't bother to contact me and I haven't wasted long distance time on the phone with them.

Be aware that to get on their list, they will want a deposit, usually $500. Make SURE it is refundable, in writing. This is usual, but don't get suckered by the 1 in a thousand cheat.

Also be aware that the government will take interest in that "great paying new job" as well, don't spend it before the tax man cometh. :)

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"46163)</div>
    OUCH! Boy, I hope you really like leather seats. I don't myself, but if I did, at least the job they did on you would be a bit more palatable. And 17" tires? Standard are 15 and a FEW people are putting on 16s. How does that affect the ride and mileage?

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

OK, me bad. I reread my post and realized it is misleading.

No, I bought my car from them mid August. '04 BC package. Addons besides the $3900 'nutting but money' padding was the toyoguard, floor mats, and delivery charge. Bottom line sticker was $31K.
    Also got gap, extended warranty and road hazard. I could have backed out of the extended warranty, but decided not to.
    Now for THAT, I was out the door for $35K including tax/title.

I did get the car same day though. Thing is, they did mention there was a waiting list then, so it was unfair of them to sell to me, when others were waiting.

What I saw bottom line sticker for $35K was in the showroom at 8pm last night as I was leaving the New Car Owner clinic. The service assistant manager had some interesting things to say, but I would have liked it if it was strictly for Prius. It was on all new cars, with Prius not even mentioned.

I wondered about how the handling would be with 17" tires. The did look cool though. I had read in CU about the tradoffs for low profile tires.