1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hoping to get some help from yall before I go to toyota today :/

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius904, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone, I wished I started this thread last night to give some time to get some answers.. Hopefully I can go in to Toyota prepared today.

I bought a used 2004 prius from the Toyota dealership that has run into some electrical problems and during the process of lending Toyota my car to work on problems, it came back with the check engine light on. The mechanic there seemed real shady and said its probably just the gas cap and took it into the shop (where I cant see what goes on) to look at the issue. He returned and when I asked what was wrong, is it bad, he just said that he had to go talk to his manager to see if its covered (im assuming at this point he found an issue). He then comes back with a sly smile and said here is your keys you are good to go. I said well what was wrong with it and he said just the gas cap. I asked if he ran a diagnostic on the check engine light and he said yup, just shows the gas cap was loose. On the way home, the check engine light came on again. frustrated, I pulled over to autozone and checked it myself. It shows problem code p1121 and defines it as accelerator pedal position sensor, range/performance problem. After researching online, code p1121 also means coolant flow control valve.

So I am wondering, did the mechanic lie about seeing a diagnostic that the check engine light was on for a loose gas cap? Is there actually a problem code for a gas cap? Researching problem code 1121 seemed to show that people could make the engine light go away for awhile by unscrewing the gas cap then putting it back in, which is just a quick fix and doesn’t solve the problem. This makes me feel like Toyota is trying to hide the real problem of engine light being on until the “lemon law” period is over and I am stuck with the car. The guys at autozone said the problem code p1121 had to have shown up if the mechanic ran a diagnostic.

I am going in this afternoon to address this situation and im hoping to become more informed through the answers yall might have. I will most likely get one chance to get this problem fixed properly, what needs to be done? Thanks in advance for any help I receive..

2. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone, I wished I started this thread last night to give some time to get some answers.. Hopefully I can go in to Toyota prepared today.

I bought a used 2004 prius from the Toyota dealership that has run into some electrical problems and during the process of lending Toyota my car to work on problems, it came back with the check engine light on. The mechanic there seemed real shady and said its probably just the gas cap and took it into the shop (where I cant see what goes on) to look at the issue. He returned and when I asked what was wrong, is it bad, he just said that he had to go talk to his manager to see if its covered (im assuming at this point he found an issue). He then comes back with a sly smile and said here is your keys you are good to go. I said well what was wrong with it and he said just the gas cap. I asked if he ran a diagnostic on the check engine light and he said yup, just shows the gas cap was loose. On the way home, the check engine light came on again. frustrated, I pulled over to autozone and checked it myself. It shows problem code p1121 and defines it as accelerator pedal position sensor, range/performance problem. After researching online, code p1121 also means coolant flow control valve.

So I am wondering, did the mechanic lie about seeing a diagnostic that the check engine light was on for a loose gas cap? Is there actually a problem code for a gas cap? Researching problem code 1121 seemed to show that people could make the engine light go away for awhile by unscrewing the gas cap then putting it back in, which is just a quick fix and doesn’t solve the problem. This makes me feel like Toyota is trying to hide the real problem of engine light being on until the “lemon law” period is over and I am stuck with the car. The guys at autozone said the problem code p1121 had to have shown up if the mechanic ran a diagnostic.

I am going in this afternoon to address this situation and im hoping to become more informed through the answers yall might have. I will most likely get one chance to get this problem fixed properly, what needs to be done? Thanks in advance for any help I receive..

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Keep this question in mind: "Where is the second closest dealer?" because you do not want to be dealing with these guys.

When odd electrical quirks pop up, always consider the theary that your 12 volt battery may be too old. (You never get that groan when starting that is a clue on 'normal' cars)

4. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the electrical issues were the 6 cd changer doesn't work and the actuators in the front doors are out. Looks like fairly common problems from what I have seen from research. I wont deal with this place ever again after my lemon period ends. I have a week from the day I bought the car to return it for a full refund if I choose to do so. That's the only reason why I am dealing with them. If they don't want me to return it, they will have to convince me to keep it. That's why im uncomfortable about how they claim its the gas cap. I feel like they are trying to do a quick fix, hiding the underlying problem, which is trouble code p1121. If they are in fact, screwing around with me, I want that knowledge to use against them to get this problem fixed. I like the car and the price I paid... I just need to make sure I get all problems resolved that I can find.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P1121 definitely points to the engine coolant flow valve. If the engine coolant happens to be low, this code may be logged. This DTC has nothing to do with the fuel cap.

If the fuel cap had been loose, one of the evaporative emissions DTC would have been logged, such as P0441.

6. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The 12V should always be suspect until proven impossible. And dealers often miss the need to replace one but will go on to other possibilities on their list. Still, the coolant flow control valve has been reported as an item of repair.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is exactly some of the knowledge I am hoping to go in there with. I want to ask that mechanic what code he pulled up when he claimed to check with a diagnostic tool. I think he was lying. The smug look on his face was obvious to me. (im deaf and can read body language quite well) Thanks for this info and I hope to get more :)

9. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My apologies, I am trying to get as much information as I can. As you can see, some people like stevelee might read one area but not the others.. I am trying to expand my reach of prius chat members as much as I can before I go into Toyota today.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wrong.

I reported one of your threads already. (prius v) Time spent reporting the posting etiquette impaired is not time spent helping. Allow us to spend our time helping, not cleaning up after you.

11. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see a way to delete the thread from prius v... report away, that was a mistake. I just joined this website a couple days ago. Gimme a week to adjust to how it works huh?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's possible that it was the gas cap, and he had to make sure he could give you a freebie before letting you go. you did take up a bit of his time. dealerships can be like lawyers.:cool:

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Patrick hit it dead on. You don't need more info. P1121 is definitely a sticking coolant flow control valve. The valve usually runs about $75 and the labor will be around $200. They will also charge for coolant. That will run around $22

Figure about $300 if you had to pay for the job yourself.

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the left hand side of the post's at the bottom it says "Report". If you make a mistake and want to delete your post, just click on "Report" and fill in the box. The admin's will take care of it for you.

Like other's said, you don't need to post the same thing in all of the forums. The regulars here pretty much keep up with all of it. Welcome to Prius Chat and good luck to you!

15. Prius904

Prius904 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for the info guys :) I went into the dealership with this info and they will be looking at the car in the morning to hopefully fix it free of charge. I took what I learned here as well some other information I found online regarding a Toyota issued notice relating to the valve and caught them off guard with how much I knew and I think it backed them up into a corner, with no other option but to fix this. *fingers crossed
    I asked him how come the mechanic did not pull this code, and he couldn't answer me. I also asked what code was pulled that pointed to the gas cap being an issue, and again he couldn't answer it. Shady used Toyota dealership for sure.