1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn doesn't work, and Radio is now intermitten and wonky

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by analoggirl, Jul 9, 2018.

1. analoggirl

analoggirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone have a solution?
    My 2011 horn stopped working, I bought it to the dealership, they told me the part/assembly alone would cost $800 (not including service hours). Up till yesterday the horn would sound if the steering wheel was turned all the way to the left (only). Now it's dead completely. After bringing car to dealership my radio seemed wonky. Then this morning it would not turn on. However, if I pressed one of the station preset buttons it acts as an on/off switch and every other preset worked the same way to the same station. At first the display screen was blank, but now it intermittenly shows station on the display screen.
    It all seems like a phantom electrical issue. Dealership wants only to exhange out entire assemblies. Who has thousands of dollars for that!?
    What solutions has anyone found?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    always makes sense to test the 12 volt battery health.

the horn problem is likely the spiral cable that connects the steering wheel controls the the respective device. it is a time consuming affair to replace it.

hopefully, they just ran down your 12v while testing, but the might have disturbed something else in the process.
    how many miles on her?
    you might be better served to try and find a good indy mechanic.

3. robertwa

robertwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I second checking your 12v battery. I had a similar issue with my radio where it seemed like the seek buttons would turn it on and off. At the same time, my power locks went crazy, locking and unlocking 15+ times by themselves. I replaced the battery and didn't have any more problems.

bisco and RMB like this.