Horn Not Working (Driver-side)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by blaze001, Mar 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. blaze001

blaze001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2010 Prius III_Horn disconnected.jpg

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a horn issue I'm experiencing on my 2010 Toyota Prius III. The passenger-side horn is working and activates when panic button is pressed, however, the horn on driver-side does not work when steering wheel is pressed down. All other buttons on steering wheel work just fine.

I purchased a new horn and followed a YouTube tutorial on its replacement, but this did not resolve the main issue. Using a multimeter, I can see that voltage is not coming through connector circled in red. (The one on the left works just fine.)

I'm an amateur when it comes to car mechanics so any advice on how best to troubleshoot and proceed would be appreciated.

TIA!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Broken clockspring

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do not think the clockspring (a/k/a spiral cable) has separate circuits for the left and right horns.

Whether a person is an amateur or a pro when it comes to car mechanics, the first stop is the same: the wiring diagram.

horn.png

That way, you see that there is indeed only one steering pad horn switch and it only follows one wire through the spiral cable to the integration relay. So if there were a spiral cable problem, there would be either both horns or no horns.

You then also see that each horn is wired directly back to its own output from the integration relay. So your troubleshooting doesn't have very many things you need to check. Continuity of that black wire from the horn connector A3 back to pin 6 of connector 1G at the integration relay. If that's ok then it might be the integration relay itself. Do you have a multimeter? (Edit: you do, I see you said that.)

1G6.png

Of course connector 1G is on the side of the integration relay you can't see from the top. The relay should be removable out through the top of the fusebox, but I've never done it, and I don't know whether there's enough slack on the 1G, 1H, 1I connectors to get it all the way out through the top, or if you need to get the fusebox loose and work through the bottom (ugh).

#3 ChapmanF, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  4. blaze001

blaze001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, thank YOU! for the detailed response and for providing the wiring diagram and relay diagram. The logic makes complete sense, and it’s helped me realize that I’ve reached an impasse being that I’m unable to get the relay out on my own (not enough slack) to check on the 1G pins. I’ve scheduled an appointment for the dealership to take over the investigation and hopefully resolve this. If I didn’t have need of the car, I could’ve kept tinkering with it.

Thanks again for the valuable insight. I’m glad to have stumbled upon such a helpful community devoted to the Prius in my troubleshooting quest.

I will post an update on how this issue gets resolved, to help others who also may encounter this issue in the future, and to also close the loop on this thread.

5. blaze001

blaze001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just to follow up, the dealership said it was both the spiral cable and the integration relay that failed. Charged 1k for the fixes smh.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Two comments about that:
    You apparently did not read the previous excellent diagnosis of the problem posted here.......which indicated that the clock spring/spiral cable can NOT be the cause of the stated problem.
    Then......you spent $1000 just to fix one of the two horns.....on a 10 year old car ???? REALLY ??? :eek:

You could have done a $20 "work around" by replacing the one working horn with a louder one.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I had to guess, I'd guess the dealer changed the spiral cable pretty much by reflex, then realized that hadn't solved the problem, then figured out what the problem was, then just said it was both.

8. blaze001

blaze001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They replaced the Integration Relay first and issue was not resolved. (I verified the horn was not working after solely replacing the IR.)
    It was only after replacing both IR and clockspring that horn finally worked.

Replacing the one working horn with a louder one wouldn't be of any use to me since that horn only works when panic button is pressed.

Re: the comment about money. Time is greater to me than $$. To each his own, though.

All the best, gentlemen.