1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn stuck and take to dealer light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Johnson123, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Johnson123

Johnson123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good evening everyone. I recently bought a 2007 Prius for my son. Today coming home from work the horn started blaring with him touching it and continued all of the way home and for the next 20 or so minutes until I was able to get there, find the fuse and remove it. Whilei was locating the fuse, he was able to pull on the middle section of the steering wheel (horn?) to get it to stop, but a soon as he released just a tad of tension it would start honking again.

the main issue however is the car won’t start. It will turn on when the ignition switch is pressed as far as lights coming on, etc... but it doesn’t actually start. In addition there’s an ominous dummy light coming on that in the manual says to “take immediately to dealer”

Any suggestions on what either issue may be? Could the warning light be due to the constant horn wearing down the 12v battery? Any help would be appreciated.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't have references in front of me to see if that fuse supplies other items, but the Gen 2 has two horn devices. One directly in the center just forward of the radiator and one toward the passenger side. I would unplug them and put the fuse back in. I'm not sure why it would display a warning to immediately take it to a dealer, unless some failure in the steering column (clock spring) circuit has compromised the air bag system. Is there a CEL?

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Does the dash say "READY" after pushing start button?

When the Prius engine is warmed up, then engine will/may not start.
    If it says "Ready" and you put it in Drive, you should be good to go.

In the Prius, then engine only "starts" when cold, or when it has sat and then under a preset temp.

Does the dash show "maintenance required/soon"? or is it a symbol? triangle?

4. Johnson123

Johnson123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’m not sure about the ready thing. But the symbol is a car with an exclamation point in the middle of it. Everything boots up fine when hitting the start button. It just won’t go into drive or reverse.

5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You will need to get a code reader to read the codes.
    Doesnt sound too good. But it could mean various problems as much as needing HV batt replacement

Autozone and some other places offer to check codes if you stop there,
    others can chime in if they lend them out, as im not sure on that.

Others can also chime in on 12v disconnect to perhaps reset if it isnt a major issue,
    but not recommended to drive if there is hybrid battery issue in some cases.