1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horn vs. Alarm and Jealousy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ghatid, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ghatid

ghatid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I kind of agree with everyone that my Prius' horn is a little too quiet, but I guess I don't mind. Priuses look nice (not mean), thus the horn should sound nice too:). My question is, has anyone pressed their alarm button and noticed that it seems a lot louder than the normal horn?
    I have a package #1 (or #2, whatever is lowest in California), and I recently pressed the alarm button, in a parking lot. My girlfriend and I were walking away from it while I was pressing it (we were both curious as to how it would sound). When I finally got it to sound, we both jumped since it was so loud. I'm pretty sure it was a lot louder than the normal horn, or is it just me?

Also, I'm currently going to school in LA, but my home is up the the Bay Area (California), so I drive up and down 5 a lot. Man, those big SUVs really have problems with us Priuses. I normally use cruise control (since I hate when I see other cars accordion around), but bigger cars always want to pass me, then slow down...and then when I catch up again, they have to speed up. RAWR! but I guess it's good because it keeps me awake:)

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Could it have sounded louder because you were outside of the car? I installed PIAA Sport Horns and honked the horn from the driver's seat. I was at first a little disappointed. Then I got out of the car and had my wife honk the horn...wow, it was really loud.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the reason the alarm sounds louder is because it is. The "Theft Deterrent Horn" is a separate device from the normal two horns.

Sounds like a possible modification to trigger the theft unit along with the little bleepers.:horn:

4. ghatid

ghatid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmm, sounds good... anyone up for it? Let me know how it goes:-D

5. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've noticed the same behavior from a lot of drivers (not just SUVs) since I've purchased my Prius. I think a lot of people assume Prius' are really slow, so they feel compelled to pass one. Call it the "Prius Effect."

In that regard, I wonder how much extra gas the Prius is responsible for "wasting" due to the Prius Effect?! ;)

6. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Prius is really NOT that slow on freeway (I've driven cars with less than 90HP and still managed to safe pass some semi), it's just that we Prius drivers want to max out the MPG and drive less agressively. Maybe the Consumption Screen is the real Prius-effect for better driving.

7. Prius Prime

Prius Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Speaking of the horn ...

I was driving on a 2 lane road, the light ahead was red, so I slowed down to glide to the light.

I noticed a possum crossing the road and it was kinda just standing there. My son was with me (he has a Ford Escape Hybrid) and said HONK your horn. So I did. It got out of the way, with a surprised look!

I was in electric vehicle/ICE off and the poor possum didn't hear me coming!

I've thought of the possibility of this happening but it's the first time it's happened to me.

Has anyone else startled an animal in "stealth mode"?

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never startled an animal that I know of, but pedestrians are another matter. They go wandering in a parking lot, totally oblivious to the fact that I'm waiting for them to get out of the way. Even the bleep that the Prius horn puts out seems overkill for getting someone to move out of the way in a parking lot.

I've actually installed a doorbell (Westminster Chimes) in the engine compartment, with a little remote control to trigger it. Cost all of about $10. Haven't used it yet, but I've come close.