1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horrible Sulfur Smell need new 12 volt battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sockmonkey, Sep 8, 2012.

1. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I noticed a odd egg smell 3-4 days ago and thought nothing of it.... Today, my 2006 prius died.... I was driving it to CVS everything seemed normal( apart form the smell) when I pulled in the parking space ( which was at a slight incline) - I could not put the car in Park, my dash lit up and said there was a parking malfunction. Then the car just died. I called my boyfriend and he came and we jump started the car, like we had done previously about 2 months ago. This time the only light was the Bid Red Triangle with the exclamation mark. I drove it back to the house which is less than 1/3 of a mile. I parked the car and turned off the car. Then after I did some research as to what the Red Triangle meant, I went out to car and started it normally only to find the light was gone and the car was running normal, despite the really strong sulfur smell. Which I can only assume means that I need a new 12 volt battery. Which hopefully will put an end to the smell and the car dying ... this is the 2nd time it died on me. I noticed I have left the lights on the car and assume that they are off when I turn the car off, since they go off. Any suggestions? Is my diagnostic correct on the Sulfur smell? I am having to purchase a battery at Autozone since the dealership quoted me $244 on the battery and $99 on the labor... in which we will change the battery out ourselves. I would appreciate and positive optimistic feedback and help... God Bless! :)

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The fact a car needed jump starting indicates a problem; often with the 12v battery. Hindsight is great but it would have been prudent to have checked the 12v at that time rather than carry on.

You need a new 12v and many dealers offer a fixed price, though $344 fitted seems excessive to me. Here in the UK it's a fixed price dealer job and is about £150 ($240) inc 20% sales tax fully fitted.

Perhaps members in the US could confirm a dealer fit price?

3. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just worried, I read that a rotten egg smelling battery can explode... perhaps? I don't know if the 12 volt battery is the same as one in a normal car. I may sound a bit daft but I am trying to figure all this out... I don;'t have a lot of money and my boyfriend isn't really helping me right now... so as stated any help in laymen's terms would help....

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure it means it's about to explode but it does sound like it is almost dead. I believe when they become that dead they short internally which could be causing the smell. You don't want a dodgy 12v venting into the car as I'm sure the smell is some rather nasty chemicals and possibly explosive (can others clarify?).

Get it replaced asap as it will only fail again and soon. Cars usually break down at very inconvenient times, usually in a bad area and mostly when it is raining hard.

5. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, I think I will go to Autozone tomorrow and replace it myself... since youtube provides instructions on how to do so... and this will save me $150 in the long run..... I was just really worried handling the battery it may explode or could while my car is idle and I am waiting for my friend to get here to help out....

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can others clarify whether this smell indicates a 12v about to blow? I'd hate for you to have that happen esp as it is sited within the cabin space in the Prius!

7. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cabin space? I though the 12volt was located in the trunk?

8. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is a rotten egg smell coming from the trunk as well as the front of the car....

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is located in the trunk. I mean the open cabin space so that any vapours from the trunk will quickly be breathed in by passengers. If the 12v was in the engine bay, then at least you could turn off the fan to avoid the smell and/or fumes.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from the Prius v forums to the gen II forums.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree you should replace the 12V battery now, which is located in the right-rear corner of the hatch floor. If possible, put the new battery on a charger to make sure it is fully-charged prior to installation, or measure the battery voltage which should be 12.9V out of the box. If lower, have the battery charged first.

I hope that you are buying an Optima battery that has the small-sized terminals?

The original equipment 12V battery is supposed to be equipped with a vent fitting and a hose which vents gases produced by the battery cells to the outside of the car. Maybe that hose came loose, or perhaps the battery had previously been replaced with an incorrect battery which does not have a vent fitting.

In any event, I suggest that you open the windows as required to vent that smell and minimize your driving time until you have had a chance to replace the battery.

Please take photos of the battery currently in the car, especially if it turns out it doesn't have a vent hose attached.

12. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Defiantly will take pictures gentleman and thank you so much for your help and advice, I will post pictures and let you know about replacing the battery. I love my Prius, but because I am not making a lot it's hard to keep the maintenance up on my car... I am thankful for it and the advice as to repairing it... thank you so much!!!! God Bless you!

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the Vent Tube, as Patrick W indicated, all you really have to do is plug it back in to the vent hole located on the Positive (Red) side of the battery. The tube consists of a plastic 90 ° "L" and a length of clear tube that goes through the floor to vent out the Hydrogen gas the battery produces.

14. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's dark right now and I just got home so I will look at everything in the morning and reply to all the wonderful helpful suggestions and advice everyone has given me... and post pics of course! Thank you!

15. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    pictures per request IMG_9010.jpg

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like the original equipment battery. Note the vent tube which goes into the hatch floor, near the left lower corner of your photo.

You will find that it is necessary to remove the traction battery vent, running over the battery, and very helpful to unbolt the brake power supply, which is the black object in the foreground of your photo, for better access to the 12V battery. It is not necessary to remove the wiring harness connectors to the power supply.

17. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I switched the battery out and the car seems to running fine! Thank you!!!

18. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the old battery.....

Attached Files:

19. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius