1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Horrid city driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by uncool, Jun 16, 2007.

1. uncool

uncool New Member

I live in Chicago and it seems that if I am not getting 99.9 on the monitor, I am getting 33 any other time I hit the gas at all. I never get in the 40s and 50s. Its all or nothing.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read up on "pulse and glide". If you're pulsing at 33, you've
    actually got it about right, but it will probably help you to know
    the rationale underlying what's going on there. Bottom line:
    completely normal, now you can go read why...
    _H*

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Uncool,

The concept of the Hybrid drivetrain is that the engine is used at a high level, then turned off and the battery runs the car during intervals when the engine would have to run as such a low level it would be inefficient. It turns out that gasoline engines have dramatically better efficiency up above 1/2 the torque capabiltiy, and a little over 1/2 the maximum rpm. The Prius engine is a little more broad banded, but the pulse and glide works for it too. Charging the battery allows the engine to run at a higher more efficient level, too, when it is running.

So, do not worry about the mpg meter showing low values when you hit the gas. I do that all the time, even down to 10 mpg , but only for a short time. Then the rest of the time the engine is off, or at such a low level, it makes up for the quicker accellerations.

The people that get the worse mileage from a Prius are those with short trips, and slow accelleration. Kinda the "granny driver" syndrome.

In heavy traffic with lots of lights, try to get in sync with the lights. Even if that throws you out of sync with the other cars a little bit. When you do hit the throttle, make sure you have some space in front of you so that you do not have to creep along at a low engine level. Then coast along. After a while it will be second nature. The magic speed is 41 mph. Pulse up to that speed, lift throttle till you get green arrows, then quickly bring up the gas peddle until the green arrows go away and you have a blank screen. With a little down hill, the Prius will glide along loosing little if any speed.

Good Luck!

4. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 16 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]463013[/snapback]</div>
    It sounds like you're saying that the Prius demands special driving techniques just to get better mileage than, say, a Camry or Accord???

There is absolutely no need to drive abnormally or unusually in the Prius just to get good mileage.

He's right to be concerned that he never gets above 33mpg. Anyone should get 40-45.

Yeah, "pulse and glide" can get more, but you don't need to "pulse and glide" just to get good mileage.

5. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jun 16 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]463139[/snapback]</div>
    The OP didn't say he gets 33mpg average. He said he got 33 every time he stepped on the gas. Pulse and glide IS normal driving for city traffic.