1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot air only? 45 degrees outside...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by david81, Mar 14, 2009.

1. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all,

I've got a bit of a quandary. Spring is approaching here in Ohio and we've had a few "warm" days lately. Today as I'm driving on the highway in our 2008 (Touring w/ 13k miles on it) with the sun shining, it starts to get a bit warm in the car. I turn on the fan to bring in some of the cooler outside air and my wife and I are hit with rather hot air. No matter what settings I choose (A/C on/off, recirc/not, auto, etc) I can't get any cool air. I had to open the windows on the highway to cool us down.

When we got to our destination, I tried it out in the parking lot. With the engine off and cool, it blows cool air just fine. I even tried turning on the A/C to see if it got cooler, and sure enough it did.

So I'm thinking there is a problem with the servo or whatever switches the air intake to pull from plain old outside air or the heater coil.

Is there an easy way to access this to check out? Could something have just fallen in and be jamming it?

I'd really like to get this fixed before the weather heats up here. I'll take it into the dealer if need be, but this is our only car and I hate to let it out of my sight :)

Thanks in advance,

David

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    david81,

If I remember correctly, the way to get fresh, unconditioned air-- that is
    neither heated nor cooled -- into the cabin, is:
    * Turn the A/C OFF.
    * Put the fan on the lowest settig.
    * Set the temperature to "Low," which is one touch on the temp
    selection below 65.

I'm a little hazy here... if this does work, it may be only with the fan on
    the lowest setting.

If it doesn't work, I'm sure somebody will correct me... gently I hope.

Hope this helps.

3. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately I've tried having the Temp set to LOW and the rest of the system on Auto. This kicked the fan speed up (I assume because it thought it needed to cool down) but just blew more hot air at us. A/C on or off doesn't seem to make a difference once the engine is hot.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What setting did you use for heat? If it was anything above ambient, you are going to get heat. Use the procedure listed above for outside air, or better yet put the climate control on AUTO and simply set the temperature to a comfortable setting.

Tom

5. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    See my response to Rokeby. Set to LOW and AUTO = Lots of hot air.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Make sure that the temperature is set as low as possible. With the A/C off, the only way to ensure that all hot air mixing is stopped is to set the temp very low. I do not like to run the AC if it is moderate outside, but unless I set the temp to very low, some heat is added to the circulation.

7. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The temp is set to LOW, which is as low as it will go.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How long have you had the car. I see you joined here in Jan. Is this the first time you have had the air on?

Try not using auto.

Set temp at 65.

Re-circ on not outside air.

Make sure AC button is highlighted and on.

Fan on med.

Should be cold air.

Still no workee its dealer time.

Either simple relay is bad or maybe you have road damage and the e-coil on the front of the car has been damaged/punctured and no more freon on board. I hope not as the dealer will not warranty that.

Seen that a few times here.

Hit anything lately or drive over hazards? Lay down and roll in under the front of the car and take a peek at the front of the radiator area for damage.

If it makes you feel any better I can't remember one person complaining of there ac not working on an 08 here.

Good luck & report back.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In that case your heating system is broken. It's time for a trip to the dealer.

Tom

10. captross

captross Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To get what I feel is outside air thru my vents, I use the climate selection on the MFD, (not the buttons on the steering wheel). I select a vent setting that directs air to my upper body. I then select a fan speed I like, just under medium. I go to the top row of the display and toggle down the temperature until LO is indicated. Then I go to the bottom row of the display and de-select Auto, Recycle and A/C. Sometimes I have to de-select these items several times for them to remain de-selected.

11. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife's Sequoia has a goofy HVAC system. I always like to have a little cool fresh air blowing on me, so I usually have the TEMP set as low as it will go. No A/C, fan running on the 2nd speed and no recirculated air.

Whenever I turn off the Sequoia (like to go shopping) and restart the engine, the #$@&**!! HVAC will always set itself to recirculating air. If the Sequoia has been sitting in the sun, the air is instantly WARM and once again I realize the HVAC set itself to recirculate. After some experimentation, I've learned that the HVAC will not reset itself to recirc in those condition - if I have the TEMP set to 65 or higher.

My 2007 Prius doesn't seem to have that problem. If I leave the TEMP set to the lowest setting (one notch below 65) and the air NOT on recirc, with no A/C and no AUTO, it will always restart just the way I left it. Could it be possible that the 2008 Prius changed the HVAC setup to be more like the Sequoia?

12. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was afraid of that.

Appointment has been made to see the dealer closest to work tomorrow. Luckily they have a shuttle service as this is our only car (who needs anything else really, right? :))

13. david81

david81 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Status update: Turn out it was just as I expected. The blend door servo seems to be on the fritz. About a week for the part to come in then she goes back to the dealer for the replacement.

At least I wasn't crazy (as the guys at the dealership seemed to think when I dropped it off).