1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot car = loss of radio control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drhardee, Aug 14, 2010.

1. drhardee

drhardee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My '08 radio has developed an intermittent problem. When I get in my car on a hot afternoon and start it up, occasionally I lose control of the panel buttons - power, station up/down, input select, disk eject, etc. But, all of these controls work just fine on the steering wheel control. If I cool the interior down and then restart the car, everything is back to normal, all buttons work. Any thoughts as to what this might be?
    It's only happened twice, but I want to be able to speak intelligently to my service advisor when I report it next visit.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a loose connection in the radio control panel. You might try hitting the panel with the palm of your hand (not too hard, of course) to see whether the controls resume operation.

If you can't demonstrate the problem to the service advisor, the tech is not going to take any action regarding replacement of the stereo. You may want to wait until the problem becomes bad enough so that it can be demonstrated upon demand.

3. drhardee

drhardee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I'll monitor and bide my time. Have a 7 yr./100 k extended warranty which I hope will soften any blow.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder if this is related to the MFD issue in the early Gen 2 cars?

Prius MFD