1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOT climates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bredekamp, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What's the best way to keep the interior of my Prius cool when I have to park it in the sun? I'm worried that if the cabin gets too hot it may eventually damage the battery. I use a windscreen sunshade. Is that sufficient? Does anybody have experience with those little solar powered fans one can mount on top of your window? Do they work OK? I was thinking of getting one, but I'm not sure if it'll mount OK on an electric window. Many modern cars can sense if the window has an obstruction, like a fan mounting, and will not close.

The sunshade that Canvasworks sell on Priuschat, can they ship to South-Africa?

www.myprius.co.za

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live in the Dallas, Texas area.

I park under a tree in the work parking lot and have the windows cracked a little bit.

Hope that helps!

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It never gets hot enough anywhere to damage Prius batteries or associated electronics when they are not being used (that is, when the car is OFF). But do use your A/C when driving in hot weather, because that does help cool the battery when it needs cooling.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) I, too, live in Dallas Texas... and we usually have 10 or more 100º [or higher!] days in the Summer. Like Delta Flyer, I leave ½" to 1" crack at the top of the windows, and use a windshield shade. All this helps a bit. The best is to try to park in the shade even though that CAN provide a tempting target for discourteous black birds.

ENJOY YOUR PRIUS.. :D

6. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Feb 27 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]397236[/snapback]</div>
    The deflectors are very attractive. Much nicer than fans and the like. I can then crack the window and not worry about rain. Thanks

7. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm in S. Texas and highly recommend window tinting. We got the Huper Optik put on one of our Prii last year and it makes a tremendous differnce. We'll be getting the 2nd one done this Sping. Of course, leaving the windows "cracked" a bit is a good idea too.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, window tint and sunshade for us. it gets much hotter in SA than it does over here though!

9. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The BMWs I had before, had a feature where you could program the OBC to activate the cars vents. You could program two times, and at each time the vent fans would run for 30 minutes. Considering the Prius has an electric A/C, surely it would not have been rocket science for Toyota to ad a feature where the aircon (or at least the fan) could be programmed to operate at certain intervals during the day...

How about an aftermarket override that can activate the cabin fans at set intervals?

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Feb 27 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]397352[/snapback]</div>
    Your BMW had a much larger 12v battery than the Prius which could handle the load of the fans. The Prius battery is designed to power the computers and other light loads.