1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot day today 118 degrees

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 240sxer, Sep 1, 2007.

1. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

108 today on the MFD. I just got home any my home thermometer says 110. Really hot today. Surprisingly the prius did well. I sat in a parking lot for 10 minutes with the ac on which dropped it about 1mpg (notice the little notch) not bad though.

Attached Files:

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are we supposed to guess where?

3. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

So. Cal.

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my drive from the San Fernando Valley to West Los Angeles today, the temperature gauge read 111 degrees. It's been pretty darn hot in the Valley all week. The AC does great on the car. It is much harder to coast when it's this hot though. The battery runs down pretty quickly. It's a price I'm willing to pay for some comfort.

5. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

I've noticed my AC sucks for the first 5 minutes then it works pretty well. Anyone else notice that?

Last year in the valley the MDF read 118 degrees. After parked for a while it read 122 (you know how it reads all high when you first turn it on then goes down a few). HOT HOT HOT

6. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hot in Pasadena as well (San Gabriel Valley). Today, Sunday, is the fifth straight day of 100+ in the valleys. On Friday I was at Dockweiler Beach where my temp read 79, when I got back to the San Gabriel Valley, shot back up to the mid 90s. Yesterday, my temp read 104 in the SGV, when I drove 10 miles west to downtown LA for the 'SC game, it dropped to the low 90s. Got back at 1am this morning, temp was at 81.

AC works well, but it definitely drains the battery and therefore brings down my MPGs and it's a lot harder to coast. Started around 56.7 mpgs yesterday morning and ended up at 50.0 in the evening. Granted, I was just beginning the tank. BTW, anyone feel the light quake this morning around 10:30? 4.7 near Lake Elsinore.

This was around 1pm Saturday in Pasadena:

[attachmentid=11059]

Attached Files:

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Forgive me for I have sinned...

I have been leaving the air conditioning on while I go into a store. When I come back, the car is downright cold, instead of the usual furnace.

I calculated the cost at less than a penny a minute for leaving the air conditioning running. This was a while back with the temperature running about 90. Higher temps would obviously be more, but it's certainly within my comfort range.

The way I do it is to set the brake, push the Park button, and set the MFD to Screen Off. The car complains (3 beeps) when I get out with it still in Ready mode, and I lock the door with a mechanical key. Once I neglected to press Park, and the beeper just went into solid beep mode. I think there was also a message on the MFD. Anyway, once I figured out what it was so excited about I pressed park and it settled back to the 3 beep objection.

The engine stays off for about 5 minutes, then cycles on for about 2 minutes.

8. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ Sep 1 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]505643[/snapback]</div>

Hey guys, don't forget that we have a Prius gathering on 9/29. Click below for the details.

9. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Sep 1 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]505578[/snapback]</div>
    SOON COMMING EVERYWHERE!!!

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Sep 1 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]505555[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure? Did you recently eat KFC? Hard to see through the finger prints. Can I interest you in some nice MFD wipes :D
    Yep ... another 100 + degree day again today. But heck, with the past 70years of landscaping & wattering, we all seem to have forgotten so cal IS a desert. These are the days where the ac MUST be on. We drop from appx 53mpg to 51mpg when we cycle our ac on and off. The window tint sure helps keep the cab cooler, too.

11. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [attachmentid=11096]

above picture added 3 PM ish Labor Day

109 in Chino Hills yesterday. Just for the hell of it, I decided to check the air pressure in the front tires. I have been keeping them at 36 psi. When I got home after a 50+ mile trip, the psi had climbed to 40 psi. I meant to check them this morning (3 AM) before leaving for work but I forgot. For those who inflate to 40 psi, you may want to check the psi after the hellish temps on the freeways.

Attached Files:

12. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [attachmentid=11097]

Here's ONE ELEVEN. Labor day 3 PM-ish near Pomona. Apologies, using a cam-phone.

Attached Files:

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Sep 3 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]506438[/snapback]</div>
    At least there are no greasy fingerprints on your MFD.

:lol:

14. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My outside temperature gauge usually reads high. First of all, it is a black car. Besides, I wonder where the sensor is located. It must be like the GMC vans I drove overseas, where the temperature gauge in the mirror read about 140 and I knew perfectly well it was nowhere near that.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaxLegroom @ Sep 3 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]506480[/snapback]</div>
    It has been in triple digits range in Southern California inland valleys. The weather station closest to my house reported a high of 112* yesterday.

IIRC, the Prius ambient temperature sensor is located behind the front license plate. Once the car is in motion, it is the most accurate of any car which I have owned in the past twenty some years.

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Weather Service listed 108 for La Mesa today, my backyard is a patio surrounded by 2 story condo, 110 on that one. The Prius is resting today as am I.

17. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We got about three weeks of that triple digit stuff here, with plenty of humidity. I'm glad to say that the A/C system in this car is easily the best I've had so far.

18. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Check these bad boys out. I went to fry's electronics in burbank to get a new motherboard/CPU. Lookie what it was at when I got out:

Earlier that day:

Attached Files:

• 118.jpg
      118.jpg
      File size:
      36.2 KB
      Views:
    • 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
  19. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

What is the hottest temp any of you have seen on a prius's MFD? Mine is 121 or 122.

20. PriusDiver

PriusDiver New Member

Thats too hot for me, we get "hot" on occasion...but thankfully the Pacific Northwest is the mecca of a mild climate :D

Even here, getting the windows tinted made a drastic difference. The mileage went up, the car is more comfortable in the bright sunlight, the back seat stays cooler in the sun, etc. The insulated silver sun screen in the accessories shop also made a drastic difference. On hot sunny days my black Prius would bake me to death, I'd have to open the door and stand back. We don't have the smog of CA to help dim the sunlight, we take it full strength...so while the air temp is lower, the car likely gets hotter. It was hot enough in the sunglass holding compartment to separate the layers of my Maui Jim sunglasses :angry:

Black wouldn't have been my first choice if I had one, but it looks nice when its clean. :)