1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot Fuel brings added cost to Drivers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by walroose, Aug 31, 2007.

1. walroose

walroose New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is an article in today's Arizona Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles...otfuel0831.html

It is amazing how people complain about their gas costing them an extra 10 cents a gallon* due to thermal expansion, but zoom up to red lights so that they can sit there and wait till the light changes. This difference in cost is like a truck getting 16 mpg as opposed to 17 mpg. If they changed their driving habits, this is more than doable!

My favorite quote:

"Fuel experts have known for decades that gas expands when heated..."

Hasn't the field of Thermodynamics been around a lot longer than decades?

The writer also mistakes the Prius for a Honda.

M

*It is not really an extra 10 cents a gallon, since they are paying for a gallon- the gallon they are buying just has less mass (energy). More correct would be an extra 10 cents for the energy equivalent of a gallon of gas at 60F.

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The thermal expansion of gas is minimal since all gas stations store their gas underground. Any increase due to heat would be the opposite in colder weather anyways. It's a wash.

By the same reasoning, the gas stations get ripped off by the delivery trucks if said trucks were filled in warmer weather. And the refineries get screwed by the crude tanker.....

Your point is correct though. The drivers of Escalades and the like have zero justification to bitch about a single penny of their gas expenses.
    And we Prii drivers generally want higher prices to force idiots to rethink their driving priorities. (and to smugly brag about our smart purchase)

3. fred s

fred s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "I don't think they'll do it unless there is a law changed," Kay Averkamp said as she pumped $27.86 worth of gas into her Honda Prius at a Phoenix am/pm station. "I don't think they'll do it out of the goodness of their hearts."

Honda's making Prii these days?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Besides, gas stations charge whatever they want for a gallon of gas, so if you change the way gas is metered, the prices change to reflect the costs (or whatever the market will bear).

Tom

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Aug 31 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]504997[/snapback]</div>
    Some of us do not have the cold weather that you are referring to, so it is not a wash for us.

In tests conducted by California Division of Measurement Standards, the temperature of gasoline stored underground in one Southern California inland county was well over ninety degrees.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 31 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]505208[/snapback]</div>
    True, but gas prices are regional. Your price structure already reflects the actual amount of gas being delivered. It would only make a difference if some stations worked that way and others didn't.

Tom