1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hot markets to sell an 04?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by magicguy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any suggestions on what markets I should post my car in to sell my 2004?

I've been trying to sell it on Autotrader and Carsoup for a few months, and recently I put it on Craigslist in Albuquerque where I live, plus LA and Denver.

I'm wondering if there's an area where I should try to post it on craigslist that might get a better response.

My car is pkg 5, 21k miles, like new, super clean. I'm asking 22,450 negotiable, and dealers around here are asking 25k+ for same package/year with more miles, so I think my price should be ok.

Thanks for the help,
    John

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think i would look at areas that dont have as much supply. both coasts seem to get the larger allotments, so i might look at larger interior cities. i hear about year long waiting lists for places like Iowa, and such.

3. Springtime

Springtime Member

Ask yourself what are the advantages to the buyer to buy from you. It may be lower than the dealer offered price - but, if there is a problem the buyer can go back to the dealer for satisfaction. The dealer may offer a warranty on the car and is just easier to find if a problem should develop. So there is a reason why the buyer might choose paying a little more and buying it from a dealer. The dealer may be able to offer financing and be willing to take a trade in - something you are not prepared to do.

The next problem as I see it is the availability of a federal and possible state tax credit which becomes available to the buyer to buy a new 2005 or 2006. I am not sure what was in the 04 pkg you have, but, the new 2005's are selling here in PA for $1000 to $2000 off of MSRP depending upon the package.

Lets say a potential buyer has a budget of 24K plus tax and tags. He could buy an 06 pkg #4 for $24K and end up paying $21K after the tax credit. He could buy a new 05 pkg#4 for about $23K and end up paying $20K after the tax credit. He could buy your used 04 pkg #5 for 22.5K.

So which would you choose? A new 06 for $21K, a new 05 for $20k or a used 04 with 21,000 miles on it for $22.5K? You see the problem? A better net price and the dealer will provide financing and accept a trade in.

What has the dealer offered to pay you to trade it in on an 06?

Springtime

4. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Like Dave says...... Try Minneapolis. Last I heard there was a 12 - 15 MONTH wait for a Prius. But, that was back in October.......

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd try to peddle it to a good reputable used car dealer in your area. Wehave a guy here who has built up a great business and a good reputation selling used cars and he always pays well above what a dealer pays on trade in. Somebody like that in your area may just love to have a used Prius to sell.