1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot Rod thoughts on Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by etyler88, Dec 13, 2005.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I put a link to Wayne's battery modifications on the Hot Rod message board too see what they would think of the potential of hybrids. Their responses are not all bad, some are interested. I think if Hot Rodders got into hybrids we would have many interesting options.

Here is a link to the thread

http://forums.hotrod.com/ubbthreads/showfl...=0&page=0#82705

2. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Sounds like a lot of them are close-minded to the thought... Stuck in the concept that unless it just burns gas and goes really fast it's not a 'hot rod'. Granted, the days of ripping out the carb or other component on a 'current' vehicle are gone, but some of the more technically inclined are definitely still tweaking. :)

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Well, I suppose at least they weren't going on about how it's a "gay car", or something amongst those lines...

:ph34r:

4. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very neat though how some were very open to the idea. It sounds like those who didn't think it was a hot rod decide to just make their own definition. I guess that that is their perogative.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not really interested in getting into the thread, but did any of you guys point them to the 2 Toyota Hybrid concept sports cars? Let them drool over the numbers those cars put out for a bit...

The Volta is a 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive® (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/future/volta/photo3.jpg

The CS&S is a 4-wheel-drive mid-engine 2+2 sports car. Employing Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive,® an electric motor drives the front wheels, while a gas engine and electric motor in combination drive the rear.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/cs.html
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/future/cs/photo_1.jpg

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure I want to know how much that Volta will cost... that has over twice the horsepower of my jeep with twice the mileage!....bring it on!

7. v.jones

v.jones New Member

And one tenth the ground clearance... can you say "high centered in 1" of snow"?

Vince

8. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

With the CS&S, you wouldn't even need to go out for dinner - you'd have a bug buffet just driving around!

windscreen or not, I'd rock either of those automobiles.

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yeah, but no one would actually try that. People who spend this kind of money in cars also ahve a different more practical car to use in the snow, likely a Range Rover or similar.

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

By the picture, looks at least a whooping 3 inches.... "maybe"

11. v.jones

v.jones New Member

I was responding to the comment: "I'm not sure I want to know how much that Volta will cost... that has over twice the horsepower of my jeep with twice the mileage!....bring it on!" which I did not interpret to imply keeping the jeep in the garage for a snowy day :)

Besides, I would be inclined to dispute your assertion that "no one would actually try that." You're seem to be assuming people like "Mystery Squid" professes to be either do not exist or do not have enough money to be dangerous. Look at the example of tbstout2 cruising at 106 MPH for 60 miles blowing everyone else out of his way on the Interstate because he wanted to get to the hospital quickly, putting an unknown number of innocent lifes at risk (including his own) so he could be with his father (who was already at the hospital) a few minutes sooner to comfort him over the loss of his step-mother (who had already died there), apparently oblivious to the added pain he would have caused his dad had he wiped out on the way.

Vince

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I see nothing wrong with what he did. In the same situation I may have done the same thing. When we were about to have our first child. I drove way over the speed limit when my made "the call." In my situation, as with his, I was not in the least bit concerned about the speed. Time (mere seconds) mattered. That was it.

As for cost, I can pretty confidently predict that this car is going to be quite expensive. I imagine it'll be the equivalent of at least 4 Priuses. Most members of this board, and I'm saying this from comments they themselves made, would never consider, or even afford this car if it ever came out. The kind of people who CAN afford this car likely WOULD have another car.

I see no problem with the comment I made.

13. v.jones

v.jones New Member

There was a lively discussion on the correctness of his actions on the thread where he announced his achievement. Discussing it here would be a major thread hijacking, so while I disagree with your evaluation of the appropriateness of his actions, I prefer to let it drop.

I had no problem with the comment you made either, and agree it would apply to 99.9% of all likely owners of such a car. My original comment was a cynical joke on the inappropriateness of comparing a performance car to an SUV. Each has a role to play and roles to avoid.

14. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I love that it doesn't take long for them to forget what the post was about and start posting real hot rod photos and talking about them. I also find it funny that they want to put HSD technology into a real car (5,000 pound steel chassis maybe with slicks in the rear?), replace the ICE with a V8 and throw in NOS and turbo. They just think torque and speed. And of course one of them mentioned "just cause it's not your cup of tea don't poo poo the guy... ( even if he is gay ...that's not the point )". Now back to the "Is the Prius a Gay car" thread.