1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hot water heater timer update

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Wolfman, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About a month ago, I posted that I had installed a timer for the hot water heater that is a dedicated unit for my master bathroom. It has now been one complete billing cycle since it's installation.

I pulled out the November 03 bill, and compared notes:

Usage for 11.03 - 818 KW/hr

Usage for 11.04 - 758 KW/hr

Bill amount for 11.03 - $72.81

Bill amount for 11.04 - $74.94

Adjusting for rate increases, my 03 bill would have been approximately $82.70, when calculating last years power consumption, at current wholesale rates.

My power is supplied through an elecric co-op.

Both months were pretty similar temperature wise, allowing me to keep the HVAC system off for the entire month.

The drop in consumption basically eliminated the price increase due to the increase in wholesale electric prices.

Looking at these numbers, it'll take four months to pay back the cost of the timer. Not a bad bang for the buck. Looking at these numbers, I'll be installing one on the primary hot water heater as well.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

what was the cost of the timer?
    818 x.0619=$50.63
    758 x.0619=$46.92
    difference $3.71 / cost of timer? = pay back time.
    This would be my payback time. With 2 water heaters it's a no-brainer you'd have it installed on both.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid about $32 US, IIRC. I don't have the receipt in front of me, so I'm guessing right now. I bought mine at Home Depot.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that's about $40 CDN, I don't know but I guess I should do it and then if they raise our rates I'll be covered for the first little while. I guess in all reallity every body should do it and we could all reap the savings from less polution and rivers damed up etc. Thanks Wolfman.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys up north have very cheap power. Makes it harder. Wholesale rates down here are around a dime per Kw/h (factoring in a fee that doesn't show on the bill, but does on the online account). Even at ~$4 per month, you will still pay back in under a year. As for installing a second timer at my place, it will have to keep the water heater on longer, so I won't see as much savings. The hot water heater that I installed the timer on last October, is only being run 2 1/2 hours a day now. On the weekends, where I don't get up early, I have to manually turn on the heater (the timer has an override switch), and remember to shut it off when I'm done.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wolfman,
    I would think there would have to be a substantial amount of time between your weekday and weekend waking times to lose appreciably heat. Have you tried letting it just run on the week day times?
    Also, I assume this is standard, but maybe not it warmer climates. Water heater jackets! If the outside of your water heater feels even slightly warm to the touch, you are losing heat for no reason. And, pipe insulation on both hot and cold for the first few feet, slows down the conductive losses.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically there is. The hot water heater kicks on at 0400, and shuts off at 0630. It may very well be noon or later before I hit the shower on the weekends. I've had it run cold before I'm finished, running it without turning ther power back on.

Yes, it loses heat, as the closet that it's in is only second to my office, where two PC's (server, and data storage for weather system) run 24/7, in a rather smallish room in warmth. It is however, stuffed very tightly into a corner (probably against many city codes, but I don't live near any city, and didn't build the place) making putting on insulation, just this side of impossible.

I've had it out of there once, and am kicking myself in the butt for both reinstalling it, (cannot be drained) and for not improving it's location within the closet.

8. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm a custom home builder and I only use Rinnai tankless water heaters in my homes. I almost always install the heater outside on an exterior wall. When installed outside, I eliminate the cost of supplying exhaust flue, combustion air, pan and drain, and the pressure relief line. I also save at least nine square feet of usable space inside the house that would have been used for a water heater closet. These savings are then used to pay for the higher cost of the Rinnai. I reduce the air leakage associated with these closets and remove a combustion appliance from inside my living space. All of these benefits are also important parts of an overall system of building that uses standard building products and methods in new ways to achieve energy results that can't be matched. My homes air test at less than .04 air changes per hour. I supply filtered dehumidified air through a mechanical ventilation system on a timer. I circulate hot water on a timer for instant hot water during the times we commonly call for it. My 4000 sq. ft. home outside Austin TX used 1200 Kh in July and August and an additional 15 gallons of propane for hot water and cooking. We make almost no lifestyle changes to accomodate this low bill. My wife keeps it cold inside in the summer.(she would say barely tolerable but I have to sleep with a blanket) My son takes 30 minute showers. We do turn off the lights when we leave a room for the most part, but that's about it. The house takes care of the rest automatically and with the best indoor air quality that I have ever found. If I was truly green I would live in 1/4 of this size of house, but I used to and burned more energy then than now. I'm a have my cake and eat it too kind of person now I guess.

9. tomforst

tomforst New Member

Check out the GFX hot water heat recovery unit - do a google search on GFX DHR. It uses the hot water going down the drain when you take a shower to preheat the cold water going to your hot water heater. I haven't installed one yet (planning to, though), but it looks like you will recover between 30% and 60% of the heat in the drainwater. Since showers are one of the largest users of hot water, the savings should be substantial. They cost in the vicinity of $300 - $400, though. Payback time might be a couple of years.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tankless hot water heaters are very common in Western Europe, due to higher energy costs, but appear to be no more than a fad here.

I wish I had gone with a tankless hot water heater at my hobby farm. I put in a 40g hot water heater with a power exhaust (No chimney due to the energy efficient furnace).

In the summer, which is when I'm most likely to be at the place, my gas bill averages $14-$18. I figure that's all from heating hot water, and that's outrageous.

You waste a lot of energy with a hot water storage tank, unless you use one of those heavily insulated tanks, like this one;

http://www.weil-mclain.com/netdocs/ultraplus.htm

Before I had the new house built at the hobby farm, the old shack there had an electric hot water tank. I'd flip the breaker off unless I was using or would soon be using hot water.

A huge advantage of a tankless hot water tank is that you have ZERO standby losses when not in use. It's fully automatic too, no fiddling with timers or breakers.

http://www.tanklesswater.com/product_250SX-NG.htm

The only problem I can see is convincing folks the much higher up-front will pay down the road. If the ROI is beyond 5 years, don't expect most folks to replace a worn domestic hot water tank with anything than whatever is on sale at Home Depot.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My biggest problem with the tankless, is the added electrical wiring required. I've entertained this idea with the new house if it get's built. The builder will not set up the additional wiring, nor will they install the tankless heater even if I supply it. This means once again, looking into busting up drywall to add the extra circuitry. While I would like to be in the position to hire Ray's services for a new house build, this is just out of my budget for this go around.

12. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh, I don't know about that. What's your budget?

Seriously, the wiring for a tankless is minimal. You will need a 110 outlet and a two conductor t-stat wire running from the heater to the controller.

The tankless that we prefer is the Rinnai. You can find it here:
    http://www.foreverhotwater.com/index.shtml

13. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The web-site isn't that great. At 140 degrees or a 70 degree rise the output is 4.7 gpm. At 50 degree rise the output is 6.0 gpm. The max output is 180,000 btuh for nat. gas and 190,000 btuh for propane. The minimum output btuh is 15,000 btuh, which is about a half gpm. If the demand is less than that, then the heater will not activate. This can be a problem in rare instances. The efficiency is 88%.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ray:

I looked at the URL you provided and there didn't seem anything complicated about wiring up that control for the tankless heater. You could probably use Bell wire or leftover Cat6.

Something like widescale replacement of regular hot water storage tanks with tankless water heaters could make a big difference in overall energy consumption. Though it's hard to convince somebody to replace a leaking HWT with a unit over $800 when you can get the el cheapo at Home Depot for around $200.

15. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Jayman-
    Yeah, wiring it is a snap. The only reason to need to read the instructions is when you use slave controllers in other parts of the house or use multiple heaters for really large residential or commercial projects.

Selling the tankless is much easier in new construction because of the things that are eliminated by the exterior mounted unit.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have an Aunt and Uncle in Santa Rosa, CA. I was always shocked at the plumbing that was left outside. Yeah, it would be nice, just wouldn't work up here.

However, if you already have an energy-efficient boiler for radiant heating, you can use the control loop to heat domestic hot water as well. Unlike regular hot water heaters, boiler domestic hot water storage tanks are very well insulated. Some only have 1/2 F per hour heat migration.

I'm surprised a lot more folks here don't put in energy efficient gas furnaces that are side vented with plastic piping. They get a "regular" furnace but need a chimney installed. They always forget to factor the cost of the chimney ... so it's a wash as far as installed cost, and the energy efficient furnace should save 20-30% minimum in heating costs.

17. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at the site. It's a gas unit, and I live in an all electric house now, and the same will be with the new one. All electric tankless heaters exist, but they require three dedicated circuits to function. Their payoff is alot more modest, and why I went with a timer on my current HWH. When the new house construction begins, I will be insulating all of the hot water pipes right behind the plumber, and will also install a timer on the HWH, as well as wrap the HWH with an insulating blanket as this one is located out in the garage - which is also slated to be insulated.

As for my budget, the equity in my current house will be supplying me with the required down payment on the new construction. So, without selling this place, I have no budget.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry Wolfy, didn't realize your home was and will be all electric. That really changes everything.

First of all, like you said an electric tankless heater does exist, but they need something like 150 amp service minimum. So let's see you're going to have to pay for a 250-300 amp service, heavy 000 wire ... forget it.

Have you considered a geothermal heat pump? If they are properly installed - I know a BIG "if" - they are remarkably efficient for heating and cooling.

Here in Manitoba, Manitoba Hydro is really pushing their use and is offering incentives too. I was all set to go for a geothermal solution when the few folks I spoke to had less then glowing reports.

I think a lot of that has to do with how deep the heat transfer loop is buried. Ideally, the deeper the better. Most installers put them 4 ft down. Around here, the frost level can hit 4ft, so even though the heat pump will work, it experiences a rapid drop in efficiency and on colder -40 nights the supplemental electric resistance heat will kick in.

In hindsight, I could have rented a backhoe and dug the d*** trench myself for the heat transfer loop. The soil here has good drainage, I could have gone down 15 ft if I was so inclined. Another regret in my life.

With a heat pump, you can use a de-superheater to heat your domestic hot water, which is then stored in a insulated tank like usual. This only works when the heat pump is in cooling mode, I think in your climate that would be most of the time.

You can also do a deep vertical loop, but that costs a lot more money. Any chance of rebates from your local Utility??

Otherwise, it looks like your plan for the HWT timer and insulating blanket will have to do. Just curious, will you be using electric baseboard heat? Or an electric resistance element in the attic-mounted system fan?

19. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wolfman- Is there any possibility of a small (100 gallon) propane tank on the site of the new house?

Jayman- You know from whence you speak. The Rinnai is only freeze protected down to -30 f. so in you climate you would want it inside I guess.

There are indeed, a few problems with geothermal. Cost is a big roadblock and if everyone in the neighborhood jumps on the bandwagon in a hot climate, you will slowly heat up the groundwater and reduce your efficiency. Poor istallation leads to frustration and system abandonment, oh and lawsuits.

20. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the lots are too small, and the codes will not allow it. Ray, what is your take on having two smaller HVAC units in a two story house vs. one large one? I've been told that these are much cheaper to operate, but again, this is coming from the salescreature who has something to gain by me checking the $1500 option.

Jayman, the HVAC system will be an A/C heat pump combination with electric forced air as a backup - pretty standard stuff for the climate here. The builders around here all have the "energy star" certification for what that's worth, but I'm still spec'ing additional insulation in the garage, insulated garage doors, full brick, and even extra foam insulation between the brick and rough in. Low "E" windows are a state code down here, so all new construction has them.