1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Hotwiring" SKS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tleonhar, May 3, 2006.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just snooping on one of the Gasbuddy sites. Someone has a post about people hacking the signal from SKS fobs to steal cars. Here's the link http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/03/gon...-to-steal-cars/ Anyone heard of this with the Prius???

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There was a post about this before. A professor at Johns Hopkins University successfully unlocked a TI-RFID equipped car. http://rfidanalysis.org/

Reason being that the TI-RFID systems uses 40-bit long crypto key. With today’s computing speed, that takes relatively short time to crack the code. The TI-RFID system is used on late model Toyotas, including the Prius I assumed.

3. plasm

plasm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 3 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]249251[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, so that means anyone with the right hardware could steal my car in 20 minutes?? Isn't this a huge problem that Toyota should be addressing?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there was also an article in wired last year that said that the security of the SKS was far superior than any other vehicle protection system available.

Someone would need to be within 15 ft of your fob with the right equipment as the code was passed to steal it. But yea, if your really paranoid and really think this is a big risk then call Toyota.

5. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 3 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]249335[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, it could be done. Theoretically. Practically, though, is another thing. But it started me thinking...

Dont garage door openers have a 'rolling code' these days so that the code could not be recorded and transmitted? It would seem to me that this would be the way to go with SKS, with a little thought put into the programming of the FOBs. ;)

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The SKS doesn't pass the same code each time, so even stealing the code with a radio device won't let you steal a Prius. It's much like the rolling code on some garage door openers, but even more sophisticated. You would need to mount a brute force attack using very large amounts of computer power, which takes a large amount of time. If someone wants to steal your Prius, it's going to be much easier to just tow it.

Tom