1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hour Meter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chasabel, Jan 1, 2005.

1. chasabel

chasabel Junior Member

Hi All:
    Has anyone thought about having an Hour Meter on the Prius?
    Since the ICE only runs part time, it would be useful in
    determining extended oil changes using Synthetic oil.
    Maybe someone could tell from the schematic in the service
    manual where one could hook up a digital Hour Meter so this
    could be accomplished. Any ideas?
    Charlie

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you should be able to T into the oil pressure switch and put in an oil pressure switch and ground the hour meter from it. That's probably the easiest. Power the meter from any 12volt supply in the fuse box and ground thru the pressure switch. You'll have to use a N/O switch, it'll go to ground when the pressure rises.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That was a cool feature in my 2000 GMC Sierra. With the motor off, you would press and hold the odo reset button. The display would show total km, then after a 5 second pause, total engine hours.

I actually did like the Oil Change reminder feature of that GMC. Depending on ambient conditions and driving cycle, it would allow me anywhere from 3,200 - 9,800 km before telling me to change the oil.

For extended drains, you really should perform UOA (Used Oil Analysis). It's hard to know just how far you can extend out the change interval without getting a lab test to see what wear metals and oil degradation you're experiencing.