1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

House OKs 'outrageous gas prices' bill

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by spideyman, May 24, 2007.

1. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WASHINGTON, May 23 (UPI) -- The U.S. House of Representatives Wednesday passed legislation authorizing the Federal Trade Commission to investigate and punish gasoline price gouging.

The bill's sponsor, Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., said the legislation would help stop "the truly outrageous prices we are seeing at the gas pump," The Detroit News reported.

"Today, every member has a choice," said Stupak. "Side with big oil or side with the consumers who are being ripped off at the gas pump."

House Republicans said the legislation would result in price controls and long lines at gas pumps, the newspaper said. They argued instead for more drilling and construction of more refineries.

The White House said President George W. Bush would likely veto Stupak's bill if it reached his desk.

Governors of 22 U.S. states -- 15 Democrats and seven Republicans -- asked Congress to investigate whether oil companies are intentionally raising gas prices to record highs by shutting down refineries, Stateline.org reported Wednesday.

"We are angry," said Connecticut Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell. "We want answers as to why prices at the pump continue to escalate in the absence of new seasonal, weather or world events."

"Myself and 21 other governors have asked the Congress to investigate these oil companies and why it is, when they're making record profits -- I mean, Exxon alone made over $9 billion in the first quarter of this year, yet they're charging record prices? It doesn't make sense for the people of our state and our country," Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, also a Republican, told CBS News.

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ May 24 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]449301[/snapback]</div>
    Surprise, surprise!

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's something... although it would be much more efficient if they stopped fighting the symptoms and went after the root cause...

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm... Prices generally rise due to shortages, which in turn lowers demand and equalize out with the shortage. If prices are capped and therefore demand is not lowered when shortages occur, you will instead find gas stations that are out of gas, or perhaps out of regular and only have premium.

So, will that make everyone happier?

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 24 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]449315[/snapback]</div>
    Does every american have an inalienable right to dirt cheap gas? I think not. If Bush vetoes this bill it'll be like the second right thing he's done in his term in office. Here's his first:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13300363/.

6. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet another investigation while Rome burns. The last investigation, completed just last year IIRC, found no evidence of price gouging.

I'd like to see an investigation into "outrageous gas taxes", averaging 46¢/gal nationwide, yet Congress will never see fit to lower them, fast track new refineries or allow new, known deposits to be developed.

Maybe our Canadian friends will come to the rescue and develop their reserves.

7. keithnteri

keithnteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ May 24 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]449363[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to see gas taxes at the $4.00 per gal level and use the proceeds to provide a solution to our use of finite energy resources, better roads, and the end to support of countries that have ideologies that are opposed to our way of life and our freedoms.

Please don't complain about 46 cents a gal since in any european country, Canada, or Australia taxes on fuel are roughly the same as the price for the product. $3.00 per gal plus $3.00 tax for a total of $6.00 per gal. Of course those countries have better roads, better educational systems and true universal healthcare. One has to be willing to pay for the services that are provided by a government or by private industry.

8. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think this is just a bit of feel-good politicking. Why shouldn't gasoline be subject to the same market forces as any other commodity? Oil companies make "outrageous" :rolleyes: profits not because of margin, but rather volume. I am sick to death about people complaining about the price of gas, and this is blatant pandering to those folks unwilling (and unfortunately, unable in some instances) to make a lifestyle change. The era of cheap energy is over, unless you happen to live in the US, where it is still vastly cheaper than any other western, industrialized nation. If "we the people" want to alter the price of gasoline, we need to collectively lower our demand not complain and wait for the government to fix this. Buck up!

Disclaimer: I work in the petroleum industry.

9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ May 24 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]449378[/snapback]</div>
    Apples and oranges. I've lived in all of those countries listed for years, including throughout the EU. We aren't them, thank goodness, and no nation on Earth...oh wait, this is PriusChat, Gaia, :) has a better national roadway system than America.

BTW, did you claim any tax deductions? If so, wouldn't that conflict with your opinion?

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ May 24 2007, 08:12 PM) [snapback]449451[/snapback]</div>
    I would beg to differ with you. I travel to Europe about 60 days per year with my job and our road system is nothing compared to the Europeans. We may have for miles of roads, but their roads are much better made. I would say my home state of Michigan has roads equal to the Czech Republic, but I would say at the rate they are building new road, the Czechs will pass Michigan in a few years.

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thr real gouging occured during the Hurricanes before and after during that time some stations (mostly the middle eastern owners/mom&pop stations) jumped the prices to $4.00 a gal that was back during charlie & katrina...... Everyone else was paying $2.29 and you paid higher if they didnt have power.

BTW, eveyone's b*tching about gas prices/barrel cost ect. I can still go buy a qt of 10w30 oil for 79cents at certain stores... :rolleyes: Whats up with that??? :huh:

13. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ May 25 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]449861[/snapback]</div>

Because nobody wants refineries near their houses.

People want cheaper gas, but also want higher taxes on them?

People want more refined product, but less of the refining capability?

Merely crossing the city line lowers my gas price by about $0.15 per gallon. Paying cash lowers it $0.05 more.

We are feeling a crunch because we are now competing with other developing nations, some of which are willing to pay more than we are, for oil. We are also generally unwilling to change our consumption habits. The amount of debt the average person has proves this.

14. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 24 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]449326[/snapback]</div>
    America today is all about fighting symptoms. Fix it, "huh?".

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Last I heard the US was a market economy.

Unless there is collusion or anti-trust violations, the fossil fuel industry has free reign to charge however much they want.

Customers have a choice, too.

Now, if only taxes were added on to equal indirect costs of use including health, pollution, and military, things would be peachy keen.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Waaahhh, we have to pay $75 to fill our SUV's . . . and who cares if gas is $8 or $9 a gallon in parts of europe ... this is all about ME ME ME.

So, last year, prices went up. And congress (watch out now) had an 'investigation'.
    Year before, prices went up, and congress (watch out now) had an 'investigation'.
    Prices went up in untold years gone by, and congress . . . .
    So ~ next year, and the next, can we all agree to replace our congress people when all they do ... year after year is 'investigate'? . . . rather than move us off of our crack / fossle fuel adiction?

17. roryjr

roryjr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Army5339 @ May 25 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]449971[/snapback]</div>

Just a thought. The gas companies build refineries. They haven't built one since (I think) 1973 due to the environmentalists. Now, if the big thing is alternative fuels, why should I (the gas company) spend millions to build a refinery if everyone claims they want fuels other than gas?

18. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Today, every member has a choice," said Stupak. "Side with big oil or side with the consumers who are being ripped off at the gas pump."

Wow im suprised they gave them the choice of siding with "big oil"

19. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ May 28 2007, 11:05 PM) [snapback]451277[/snapback]</div>

The big thing isn't alternative fuels though. Power companies are in the business of making money. If they thought that selling gas was not as profitable as solar farms, they would switch. The demand for alternative power just isn't there...yet.

Wind farms are the same way. Great...until they are in your backyard, possibly effecting your property values, and possibly killing whatever beloved local bird is your pet project. Look at the long drawn out Cape Wind project in MA.

People want many things. They just want them located far enough away from their property so as to not affect their bottom line. Investors will only put money into a large project if they feel they will at least break even on their investment.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ May 24 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]449378[/snapback]</div>
    You are one side of the ideological spectrum -
    Also note the countries you reference also have:

1. negative birth rates
    2. unemployment far greater than ours
    3. economic stagnation - companies growing offshore rather than onshore (interesting article in todays NY Times on how Canadians are worried about their companies being bought by outsiders...)
    4. significant immigrant issues - a lack of assimilation, radicalization...
    5. out of date healthcare
    6. fewer roads
    7. no defense budgets
    and
    most of them have...
    newly elected conservative governments bent of reforming their current systems.

I say...
    1. lower taxes on gas
    2. encourage new drilling and refining capacity
    3. encourage the marketplace to develop new alternate sources of energy
    4. BUILD NUCLEAR POWERPLANTS - LOTS OF THEM - NOW - like your european friends have

no society has ever taxed its way into greatness - and what makes you think the government knows what is best for us or where best to spend our money. name one thing it does currently that you think is well done or better done than the private sector? Dont trust people who cannot deliver the mail to take care of your health.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ May 25 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]449590[/snapback]</div>
    Your state of Michigan is one of the highest taxed states in the country - top 10 or higher, no? If so, why are your roads so poor - with all that tax money in their pockets what are they doing with it?

And when I was in Italy the other summer - i noted their roads are not so hot at least from Venice through to and including Rome. Try driving in Rime or for that matter Venice :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 27 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]450660[/snapback]</div>
    Congress is run by the Democrats, no? What are they doing about it? Nothing.......Why?