1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Houston worst recycler of 30 largest cities.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Houston worst recycler of 30 largest cities.

The article makes is sound like they have an "independent streak". But it sounds more like they're lazy and cheap. They have plenty of landfill space so there is no motivation.

"Houston recycles just 2.6 percent of its total waste, according to a study this year by Waste News, a trade magazine. By comparison, San Francisco and New York recycle 69 percent and 34 percent of their waste respectively. Moreover, 25,000 Houston residents have been waiting as long as 10 years to get recycling bins from the city.

The city picks up garbage at some 340,000 households, and fewer than half have recycling bins. About 25,000 households are on the waiting list for the bins, but the city says it cannot afford more bins.

Those without the special bins must cart their recyclable garbage to one of just nine full-service drop-off depots in the city."

2. Testm0nkey

Testm0nkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know out here where I live they are thinking about cutting the convenient pick-up service. i believe they cited costs even though we do pay a little each month for the service.

one large reason, i think, why houston is so far behind is because houston isn't really a "large city." what i mean by this is its more like a bunch of little towns 40miles from each other. for example, if i had to cart my recycling somewhere i'd have to drive 35 minutes 1 way to get there.

when i lived in midtown (in Houston proper) everyone recycled and there were talks of having small fines for not doing so like there are in places like NYC. its just too tough and expensive to do that in a suburb obsessed metroplex

3. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius