1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOV Access for Hybrids in other States ???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VergerBill, Sep 22, 2006.

1. VergerBill

VergerBill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have read with interest the info recently about the HOV lanes in CA and AZ! Does anybody know of other States that are comtemplating, proposing, passing, or already have HOV access for Hybrids???

Bill
    Nashville TN

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Virginia has special license plates (no longer available for hybrids, I believe), and Florida issues stickers. I don't know about other states.

BTW the states that allow hybrid HOV access for single drivers only do it for cars registered in their state--it's not for tourists.

3. andrle@bellsouth.net

[email protected] New Member

Georgia

Georgia law allows hybrids into HOV lanes, but the state bureacracy has dragged its feet in implementing it. This web site link has a good summary of where things stand officially: http://www.dot.state.ga.us/specialsubjects/hov/hov-afv.shtml

Georgia law allowing hybrids to get "Alternative Fueled Vehicle" license plates (aka tags) and to drive in HOV lanes is at Georgia Code Section 32-9-4 (allowing use of Georgia’s HOV lanes by certain hybrids if such use of HOV lanes is permitted by Federal law), and Section 40-2-76 (specifying the issuance of license plates for hybrid vehicles for such use).

Georgia's Department of Natural Resources has taken the position that they must wait for the U.S. E.P.A. to conduct a rule making and issue a list of vehicles. However, this position is belied by the fact that other states have already proceeded to enable HOV access. Florida is one example – right next door. A year ago already Florida issued its list of approved vehicles and implemented their program (using vehicle stickers). You can view it at http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/titlinf.html I brought this to the attention of William Cook, who is in charge of this issue at Georgia DNR’s Environmental Protection Division (404- 363-7028), almost a year ago. Yet as I understand it they have NOT followed Florida’s example and moved this thing forward.

Why Florida has moved forward smoothly on this issue, while Georgia’s state agencies are frozen on this and flouting Georgia law?

Call Mr. Cook and complain. Also contact Judy Reynolds at Governor Purdue's office (who handles DNR matters) and complain -- 404-656-1776.